Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

extract data from odb file

Status
Not open for further replies.

albert1981

Feb 16, 2007
GB
Dear all,

Is there any method to estract the data from an odb file? For example I would like to extract the stresses value along a certain path wich I have to define from the odb file. But I have to search for different step as well and that will be a very long process if I have to doit manually. The python script can help me i some way?

Thanks in advance,
Albert

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, you can use ABAQUS Scripting Interface (both Python and C++ versions) to automatize post-processing tasks, including path definitions and data extraction along the defined paths.

Thanks a lot for the advice and the script example.
Since I am new to python I still have a couples of questions that could sound silly for you.

How can I run the script example? from the shell python GUI? The results were will be printed?

Thanks again!

Yes, run from the command line 'abaqus python $scriptname' (see 8.4 in the scripting manual for more info). The scripts in the examples all return the data to the commandline, but you could easily edit the script to write them out into a file instead.
Or, if you're not confortable with python, you can redirect the out to a file using the '>' symbol.

Try this on a command line to see what I mean:

In windows:
'dir > test.txt'
'more test.txt'

In Unix-ish OS'es:
'ls > test.txt'
'more test.txt'

---

So there's nothing to stop you from running
'abaqus python myscript.py > myoutput.txt'

Personally, I use Matlab to analyse the output from my models, so I call the script directly from the Matlab command line and assign the output to a matrix:

>>myoutput=eval('!abaqus python myscript.py');

Hope that helped.

Rmettier, thanks a lot for the advice which have been usefull.

I run a similar script to print in output in a txt file the displacement of my odb file. It seems that it worked for one case but when I used another odb file the displacements are all zero. I used the same script changing the odb path but it seems that it can not read the displacement anynmore.
Do you know if there is any explanation about it?

Thanks again,

Albert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back