Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extract results from a region of interest Abaqus

Status
Not open for further replies.

jj31

Mechanical
Jul 14, 2015
US
Hello,

I have an Abaqus 3D model of quadratic tetrahedral elements (10 nodes). I would like to make a series of 4 planes or cuts. Then, I would like to define a 2D region of interest (say for simplicity a square) on each plane and extract the results (i.e., stress, strain, etc) from inside the specific region of interest. Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to do this (i.e., extract information from a 2-D region of interest in a 3-D model) using a script?

Thanks,

J

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think you need to identify the nodes on your region of interest and you can use this code to extract data
session.xyDataListFromField(odb=odb, outputPosition=NODAL, variable=(('S', INTEGRATION_POINT, ((INVARIANT, 'Max. Principal'), )), ), nodeLabels=(('Part-1-1', ('5', '10', '11', '21', )), ))
5, 10, 11, and 21 are node numbers

If your nodes are in a set you can use
session.xyDataListFromField(odb=odb, outputPosition=NODAL, variable=(('S', INTEGRATION_POINT, ((INVARIANT, 'Max. Principal'), )), ), nodeSets=("Node_set-1", ))

Another option is to use integration point of each element at your region of interest.

session.xyDataListFromField(odb=odb, outputPosition=INTEGRATION_POINT, variable=(('S', INTEGRATION_POINT, ((INVARIANT, 'Max. Principal'), )),), elementLabels=(('Part-1-1', ('1', '2', '3', )), ))

'1', '2', '3' are the element numbers

Hi @GreenElmo,

If I understood correctly, your code will only extract the data at those 4 nodes. But what I need is a little bit different, I need to get the data from everything that is inside the area defined by those 4 nodes.

Your nodes must be your upper and lower boundaries. Anything in between those nodes will be within the node boundaries. You may try to interpolate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back