Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extracting Curves From Image File

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marlborough

Automotive
Jun 21, 2008
CA
Hey guys -
got a co-worker saying there use to be a tool within NX that would let you import an image and extract usable curves for modelling. Does such a tool exist? Been using UG/NX since 1999 and don't think I've ever seen such a tool. Only way I've ever done this was to use 3rd party software like Inkscape.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

To the best of my knowledge, extracting a curve from an image file does not (nor has it ever) existed in UG/NX. However, you can import a raster image for reference and sketch or create curves on top of it; but there is no command or automated method of extracting the curve info. It used to be that you needed a special license for this functionality, but starting around NX9, it is now part of the basic modeling license.

www.nxjournaling.com

I've been using NX since UG v9, and I don't recall ever seeing that functionality. Import the raster, and trace over it, has been the only way I know of.

-Dave

NX 9, Teamcenter 10

There are third-party utilities which will convert raster images to curve objects. While they can't be used as an NX 'plug-in', they do produce standard intermediate files like DWG/DXF files.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back