Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

extrude a line with offset and draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowski

Mechanical
Apr 23, 2000
US
When I extrude a line with offset and draft, NX6 (6.0.3.6) does not add draft to the 2 end faces. Is this working as intended? Because previous versions (NX2 at least) would add draft to those faces.

Specific options I am using:
Limits: input values
Boolean: none
Draft: from start limit (any angle input)
Offset: symmetric (any value), I have also tried 2-sided
Body Type: solid

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You could post an example or images comparing NX-2 with what you're finding in NX-6, but as I interpret your question I would say that this has never been the case so that you may be mistaken about what NX-2 was capable of.

Another thing that also occurs is that extruding with combinations of draft and offset may not work if the base profile is off the plane or curve in 3D space. Maybe that applies although you may be unaware of it.

Best Regards

Hudson

www.jamb.com.au

Nil Desperandum illegitimi non carborundum

John,
Any possibility for bringing it back? It was very handy for adding ribs to molded parts. You could get the entire rib with an extrude feature, trim it if necessary and unite - done.

I would concur with cowski as to the usefulness of that functionality. I didn't know that it had gone missing, but have often for similar reasons had to add the additional draft as a separate feature. Clearly we may work with similar kinds of products.

Best Regards

Hudson

www.jamb.com.au

Nil Desperandum illegitimi non carborundum

Thirded! I asked my NX supplier about this around 2 or 3 months ago.

I wanted to add some raised symbols and ribs onto the back of a moulded plastic part and it seemed silly that an operation presumably added to reduce features only performed half the job when applied to a single line rather than a closed loop, and still required an addition function to complete the drafting.

I assume there is a sensible reason for this funtionality to have been removed, but it does seem like an obvious thing to keep in? Perhaps it has been included in NX7?

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back