Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

extruded text

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You should be aware that extruding or cutting the text can be a HUGE resource hog and may be very slow due to the curves and such. Also, since the text tool uses system fonts to create actual SW sketches of the letters, the transformation from font to sketch is sometimes imperfect depending on the font size and the complexity of the font. This can result in the sketches having all kinds of geometric problems that can foul up the cut/extrude. Finally, be prepared to fight to get the fillet/rounds on the root and crest of the extrude/cut if you need them. Sometimes the geometry of the text and the geometry of any needed fillet/rounds won't co-exist.

I did a project a while back where I needed to take the company font and emboss the company name into an injection molded part for branding. Between fighting the geometry and the extreme speed hit that dealing with those geometries caused, it took me a week of fiddling with the text sketch to be able to get everything ready to ship on to the toolmaker for verification.

I figured a heads up on the problems you might run into could be helpful if you're in a position where time is critical or has to be budgeted/okayed.

Yes, I know this. I am trying to come up with a design for a 3D logo and wanted to know how to extrude text. But thank you for your feed back. I have figured it out.

I used to work with text and logos all the time, and you'll have the best luck using Solidworks fonts, IMO. This is especially if all you're doing is creating a custom extruded logo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back