Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extrusion line crosscut saw - laser retrofit

Status
Not open for further replies.

acrylicguy

Industrial
Jan 17, 2005
US
We extrude acrylic sheet. I'd like to know if anyone has heard of using a laser instead of a saw for the crosscut. We have extensive sawdust control/collection systems but still get some on the sheet, which is unacceptable for certain customers. I had this idea - how about not generating it at all by using a laser. Any help is appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We need a square edge cut. It would also be a major project to move the components downstream from the crosscutting area. Thanks anyway.

That has me wondering, would the sheet have enough opacity to generate a clean cut, or would the beam not pass much of it's energy through? How about high pressure water?.

Are the sheets protected at all with a backing material? This could protect the surface of interest during your operations and subsequent transport. I would agree with automatic2 at looking at a waterjet. Lasers bring quite a bit of safety/compliance concerns along with them and if the material is not clean, you could get spatter and end up embedding artifacts into your surface rather than having dust on it.

Regards,

Our sheets are very clean and have a polyfilm on both sides. I've seen beautiful laser cut edges on clear acrylic. Waterjet tech. has come a long way but acrylic is hydrophilic and I'd also be concerned about water wicking under the polyfilm. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back