Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Eye Wash station 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

zaza123

Electrical
Dec 3, 2008
SA
We are using Sealed type Valve regulated Lead acid batteries. The installation of the batteries is in the substation in Rack arrangement. i.e there is no seperate room for these batteries. Is Eye wash station is required as per IEC standards.
As per my info eye wash station is required if one is doing Maintenance on the batteries

I'm not familiar with IEC standards. I believe that is a European standard but the Nation Electric Safety Code C2-2007 requires the following (See Section 14-NESC C2-2007). It states that "Proper eye protection and clothing shall be provided in the battery area during battery maintenance and installation and shall consist of the following: 1. Goggles or face shield. 2. Acid-resistant gloves. 3. Protective apron and overshoes. 4. Portable or stationary water facilities or neutralizing agent for rinsing eyes and skin".

This is the Safety Standard in the USA. I'm guessing a similar requirement is listed in the Electrical Standard used in your area. Hope that helps!

Is this applicable also for the batteries where there is no maintenance. In our case for these batteries we do not do any maintenance, as these batteries are sealed type.

"during battery maintenance and installation"
you still need to be covered for the installation portion of that requirement.

Not a good choice of battery for substation applications. You'll get much better life out of a regular wet cell battery.

Sealed batteries aren't maintenance-free, they're maintenance-proof. Big difference. [wink]

For a critical battery in a stationary application the best technical solution (of the common battery technologies at least) is vented Ni-Cad, with vented lead-acid in second place.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

THe question here is that the batteries are placed inside the substation & someone has rasied a near miss incident that there shall be Eye wash station.I am checking the standards to confirm that if the batteries are sealed type & we are not doing any maintenance then somewhere is it written that there is no need for eyewash station

A portable eye wash station using an internal reservoir costs, what, 100USD?

You want to be a hero by saving such a relative pittance?

You've already spent more than that in your time.

Find a bigger windmill, Don Quixote.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back