Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Eyelet (Grommet setting tool)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kalz

Dec 2, 2002
NZ
I am trying to source a tool and or drawings for the setting of MS20230 eyelets or grommets in some areas.
Most tooling around will set the commercial type with a straight barrel not the tapered type on the MS.
(AN230 was the old spec)
Size is 0 and it is a plain washer (Al or Brass per spec)
self piercing. Embosed head style.
Any help appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks Bf109g. I am in NZ and the cost is a bit prohibitive.
Still trying to find a dwg of tooling. Guess it is like rocking horse poo to get.
Thanks mate

How many do you have to do? Any sheet metal guy worth his salt should be able to do the job with a small ballpeen hammer and a decent work bench vice/anvil. Alternately, machine your own tapered anvils and install using a press. Would this work for you?

Saitaetdrad, I have 200 to do and yes the tapered anil is no sweat but the forming piece that has the rolled machine cutout is the hard bit for a freehand guy to guess.If I knew the radius of the roll groove that would be handy.
Thanks for your reply.
Kal

Here is an idea. Do a google search for eyelet anvils. Some of the product photos have a pretty square shot of the tool. Find some appropriate for your eyelet style. Import in CAD and presto-change-o, you scale up the photo so you can get the rough dimensions. An hour later, you could be pulling your anvils off the shop lathe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back