Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

F111 parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChadInColo

Mechanical
May 13, 2003
US
Here's a fun little project. I work at an aerospace machine and engineering company. One of our new jobs is to build a replacement part for an F111. The kicker is that there is no documentation that we can find, we are thinking we will have to reverse engineer the part, do drawings, and build it.

My question is two fold, number one, does anybody out there have any F111 documentation, know where I can find some, or know anybody to chase down? The part is old enough there is no CAGE code on the tag, so I can't find the original manufacturer of the part.

Second, if that fails, anybody know someplace that is capable of putting the parts on a CMM and doing a complete inpsection and building a solid in CAD?

And of course, with all the knowledgeable people on here, I welcome any hints or comments. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ChadInColo:

What type of part are you looking to reverse engineer?
I work for a company that built/builds the powerplant and ECS pnuematic ducting system for the Aardvark. I know that we occasionally produce some of this hardware today, as 111's are still flown down under.

For reverse engineering capabilities, here is a source that I've worked with:

They are known as Radian MilParts and this is their niche.
Also, I may have an Aussie contact who can help you.

Best of luck.

It's a stringer type-assembly with a couple of latching mechanisms. I can give you the part number, but I haven't been able to find out just what the part is or where it goes on the plane. This is for Australia, helping to keep the old planes flying.

I am located in Colorado in the US. I will contact Radian and see if they can help. Thanks.

If I recall the Aussies fly the F-111C - General Dynamics modified the F-111A to C for the RAAF.

It is possible that General Dynamics,Fort Worth still has an archives of the original F-111C configuration?

I'm sure you already thought of this but thought I'd toss it out there anyway.

ietech

gstark if you do have a contact I would appreciate it. This is for Australia, not General Dynamics. The powers that be here said we are not farming out the reverse engineering on this part, we are working on getting drawings from General Dynamics, we do some work for them but since this job isn't for them they haven't been jumping through hoops to help us.

ietech,
The Aussie F111s are F111Cs, which have FB111 fuselage, wings and u/c, and originally F111A avionics although this has been updated. They also fly F111G's

ietech
Gooday from Oz.
The Australian F111's are cared for by Boeing at Amberley Airforce base in SE Queensland.
They use a drawing set which belongs to the RAAF (I believe).
You would need to formally approach the RAAF to get assistance with documentation.
The F111 Chief Engineer is
Wing Commander Mark Scougall
Phone 61.7.5461 1111 (Switch )
Queensland is GMT+10 hrs.

I used to work in the F-111 structural engineering office in Sacramento and have several books and contacts in the DoD system. I no longer work for DoD, but can put you in contact with the right person. I can be reached in Oakland FSDO (510) 748-0122 ext. 246.

Denny

Stache,

Small world --- I worked in the F111 planning office, bldg 251 at McClellan (Sacramento) for many years. Retired from there in '93. It's possible that we had crossed paths there.

ietech

I am sure we did. I work structures in Bldg 251 on the floor and spent some time in the planing office an the ALE-40 project. Then became a equipment spec. I left McClellan in 1993 and work on the B-1 project at Dyess. The B-1 is just like the F-111 or bigger.

Denny

I retired from McClellan AFB in 1994. I was in the physical science lab for appx. 26 years. In regards to F-111 parts and material the RAAF has all that information which was handed over to them when McClellan closed. The lab worked very closely with the engineering department.

ChadInColo

Did you get the info you needed, I "may" be able to help you. Send me an email msg with the part numbers your name address and your company info, along with who you are making the parts for.
I will run this buy the correct depts at this end to see if we can get you your required info through the correct channels!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back