Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

F304L and WP304L material

Status
Not open for further replies.

ooktan

Mechanical
Dec 25, 2002
TR
Question :
are the A403 F304L and the A403 WP304L same materials ?
2 - if yes, do you forward me related specification.
2 - if no,
cause;
* F304L forged materail and WP304L not.

I ask this question, because some specification says
A403 F304L and A403 WP304L ecatly same materials and some are not. I want to be sure because I have to procure fittings material which is with 304L quality.
Thanks for your support.
Regards,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ASTM specification defines this material (A-403) as follows:
“this specification covers tow general classes, WP and CR, of wrought austenitic stainless steel fittings of austenitic stainless steel fittings of seamless and welded construction covered by the latest revision of ANSI B16.9, ANSI 16.11, ANSI B16.28, MSS standard Practice SP-79 and MSS standard practice SP-43and MSS SP-95”

“… Class WP-S fittings are those manufactured from seamless product by a seamless method of manufacture;
Class WP-W fittings contain welds where the fitting fabrication or construction welds have been radiographed;
Class WP-WX fittings are those which contain welds where all welds have been radiographed;
Class WP-WU fittings are those which contain welds where all welds have been ultrasonically tested.”

“Class CR fittings are those manufactured to the requirements of MSS SP-43, and they shall have pressure ratings compatible with 9.3.”

Material components of the a.m. classes are the same.

OOKTAN
I am not a metallurgist but I forwarded your request to one and his reply is below:

The correct spec is A403 WP304L. WP means "wrought" product for austentic
steel. The "F" (forging) is used for ferritic steels. F304L makes no
sense. It's not listed under A403.

Most likely the same material incorrectly identified as F304L.

Hope this is of some help....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back