Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

F316L in ANSI 2500 Valves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BVMan

Mechanical
Jun 20, 2003
GB
We have recently offered ANSI 2500 Valves to a client in A182 F316L material (As F316L is more readily available than F316). Our client has reject the offer as according to ANSI B16.5 1996 and B16.34 2004 the max working pressure for these materials are 5000psi.

The Valves are manufactured with Integral flanges (not welded)and the valves will not be welded in any way.

Am I right in arguing that if the F316L material conforms mechanically to F316 and the Ni Content falls between 10%-14% then it can be classed as conforming to A182 F316.

Does anyone have any experience with this problem?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am not a valve expert (and not knowing your intended service of the valve) I offer two items for consideration:

1) I do not have latest copy of B31.1 Code, but previous Editions delineated that A182 F316L material was not acceptable for use on 'Boiler External Piping'

2) material grade with an 'L' designation represents lower carbon composition

BVMan,
I agree with STYMIEDPIPER. ASTM A182, F316 and F316L are essentially the same except the "L" grade has a much lower carbon content. This makes this grade easier to weld but does lower the strength slightly.

I assume the customer rejected your proposal because the service conditions exceed the 5000 psi maximum allowed by ANSI B16.34. The Special Class table will get you to 5570 psi and there is always the possibility of an intermediate class rating depending on the type of valve you manufacture.
Hope this helps,
ABScott

My clients will request all 316 class materials to be 'dual certified' meaning that they meet the higher mechanical requirements of 316, but have the lower carbon content of the 316L. Material grade on the certs is usually listed as 316/316L. I believe NORSOK MDS S01 has this requirement as well.

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back