Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

F51 DUPLEX + STELLITE or 17-4 PH STEEL 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GabrieleB

Petroleum
Feb 4, 2009
IT
I have to produce a data sheet for a globe valve in high chloride environment, i want to know if is better a disc in duplex F51 with stellite 6 hard facing or 17-4 PH (AISI 630) hardenable stainless steel.
Which is the cheaper solution? In my opinion the second one.
Is it advisable to use a 17-4 PH steel with a content of 160000 (160g/l) of chorides? Thanks in advance for your help

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You don't mention other aspects of the service environment such as whether there is any H2S present in which case NACE MR0175/ISO 15156 Table A.27 might restrict the use of 17-4 PH steel.

There isn't H2S content in the water, so we are not in Sour Service Condition. I appreciate your answer. In any case for me is very interesting to know which solution is cheaper for a 10" Ball Valve and the main difference beetwen these 2 technical solutions. Thanks for your collaboration.

I would go with the Stellite 6 which has good corrosion resistance in oxidizing environments and chlorides and is hard enough for a good sealing surface. We have used Stellite seats in valves in methylene chloride solutions for years with good experience. 17-4PH sst is susceptible to chloride stress corrosion cracking under the right conditions, so that would not be a good choice. Duplex is also a good choice, but not as hard as Stellite.

If you are looking for a TSO valve, a ball valve with metal to metal seats (tungsten carbide coated) will never be tight but will admit a leakage according ISO 5208 rate B as maximum sealing, more often it will be ISO 5208 rate D.
Temp/pressure is important to know ehter you can use cast material vs forged which will make the valve cheaper.
Ciao

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back