Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

F8 as command button

Status
Not open for further replies.

cubalibre000

Mechanical
Jan 27, 2006
IT
Hi,
it's possible to create a custom button that has the same behavior as the F8 keyboard ?

Thank you...

Using NX 8 and TC8.3

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can record a macro or a journal when pressing F8 , and assign them to a button?

UG_VIEW_POPUP_SNAP_VIEW is the ug command, but i can't seem to use this in the button customization.

Best regards,

Michaël.

NX7.5.4.4 + TC Unified 8.3
Win 7 64 bit

Hi,
I tried to use the UG_VIEW_POPUP_SNAP_VIEW as system command, but doesn't work.
With the macro work.

Thank you.

Thank you...

Using NX 8 and TC8.3

Cubalibre00 -> threy to create youre own toolbar file (.tbr)
like:
BUTTON UG_VIEW_POPUP_SNAP_VIEW
LABEL snap view
BITMAP your c:\bitmap\snap view.bmp

You could try Tools->Customize...->Keyboard (at the bottom of the window next to the "Close" button)

I am running NX7 so it may have changed for NX8

The Snap View is kind of a odd command since it is not visible in any dialog. - Which in my book helps new users to learn the system.
If there is no visual clue that a command / feature exists, - how to i see that it's there ?
( don't get me wrong here, i love the snap view function, and the Shift+F8 in NX75)

If you would like a complete listing of ALL of the 'keyboard-commands' used in NX, go to Customize, select the 'Keyboard' option and then the 'Report' button.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
UG/NX Museum:
To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

John, if you replied to my post above, you are replying to something that i did not say.
I noted that this specific command isn't visible in any menu or dialog and therefore can be difficult to find/ learn.
In comparison the "Shift+F8" is visible in the view popup when a sketch is active and also as a button ( default hidden) in the direct sketch toolbar.
I think the F8 is unique in this matter, at least i know of no other option that isn't contained in any dialog and only available as a keyboard shortcut.

My response was intended as a general comment about the fact that there was an easy way to get a listing of ALL of the current keyboard shortcuts. Which took on an extra bit of interest after reading about something later in the day:

I also follow the comments made on the various message boards about other CAD products including both our competitors as well as our 'sister' product Solid Edge. Just yesterday there was a comment made where a user had 'written' a program (and posted the results) to extract a list of the keyboard shortcuts, and their corresponding function names, used in Solid Edge. From the response he got it seems that this effort was met with appreciation. He also offered to update and republish the list with each new release of Solid Edge.

Anyway, I was 'shocked' to think that the only way that a Solid Edge user could get a comprehensive list of keyboard shortcuts was to 'write a program' which I assume parses the menu files to find all of the shortcuts when NX has a built-in option to show you that list anytime you want and which is always up-to-date, including any changes or additions that you've implemented yourself (I've been wondering how I would go about suggesting that perhaps the Solid Edge people should consider doing something similar to what we have in NX without looking like I was pointing out a shortcoming in their software as compared to ours ;-)

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
UG/NX Museum:
To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

You are able to change the keyboard bindings from where you run the report from as well (Tools->Customize...->Keyboard)

I added "L" as Line, "C" as Circle, "F2" as Look at Sketch, and etc. in Sketch mode (access the above menu while in sketch and make sure "Use new shortcut in:" is set to "Application only") which was pretty easy.

The changes you make will show up on the Report print out that JohnRBaker described above

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back