Fabric Structure, Air Supported Roofs, Light Structures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calif

Structural
Jul 4, 2003
US
Hello

I am interested in learning fabric structures, air roofs and light structures. Anyone know of any resources online or books that will help in analysis and understanding the behavior of learning such structures? I am not in a firm that does things like this but would like to some day. I want to learn on my own for now.

Thanks

Calif

The resisant virtues of the structure that we seek depend on their form; it is through their form that they are stable, not because of an awkward accumulation of material. There is nothing more noble and elegant from an intellectual viewpoint than this: to resist through form. Eladio Dieste

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Good morning Calif,
I believe ASCE has published several references for tension/lightweight structures. Check their library. Also search names such as:

- Buckminster Fuller
- Frei Otto
- David Geiger and Horst Berger
- The Bird-Air Company

regards,
Michel

"air supported roofs" ? ... i think you mean tension surfaces ... it's the tension in the membrane that gives the roof it's shape, not the air under it.

I have heard it both ways rb1957 but do you have any recommendations?

The resisant virtues of the structure that we seek depend on their form; it is through their form that they are stable, not because of an awkward accumulation of material. There is nothing more noble and elegant from an intellectual viewpoint than this: to resist through form. Eladio Dieste

rb1957,
Yes, the membrane forms the shape, but "air supported roofs" are supported by the differential air pressure supplied by large fans.

Yes, air supported roofs and fabric/light structures are as alike as boats & cars. For fabric/light structures. start by learning about the failures; search past threads "Coverall/Dallas Cowboys".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back