Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Fabricated Steel W-shapes

Status
Not open for further replies.

TTK

Structural
Sep 24, 2003
US
I have a need to use fabricated I-sections rather than wide flange rolled beams (W12 & W14), and would welcome any discussion on the following question:<br><br>Is there a particular size (width/depth) of section that is more economical to fabricate due to the size of the automated SAW equipment used to fabricate these small shapes?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you fabricating a small section?&nbsp;&nbsp;If so, what size sections are you considering?&nbsp;&nbsp;And the burning question, why bother fab'ing a small section?<br><br>As to large sections, there is lots of literature on girder sections, starting with the &quot;Plate Girders&quot; section of Part 2 of any Manual of Steel Construction.<br><br> <p> Imagineer<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>

The sections would be relatively small (less than 100 lbs./ft.) and would be used as truss web diagonals.<br><br>There is an advantage in using fabricated truss members since you can keep the depth of section constant and avoid filler plates at the gussets.<br><br>An added twist is that the aesthetics of the truss is playing a LARGE part in the design process, and if fabricated sections are used, the size (i.e. viewable area) of the gusset plates could be reduced.<br><br>Thanks for your comments.&nbsp;&nbsp;Any other thoughts?<br><br>TTK<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back