Face Fillet - how do I do this?? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreddyB

Mechanical
Mar 25, 2010
GB
I have two typical situations:

1) Consider the inside corner of a box. Near the corner of the box is a circular boss extending from the base of the box to the top of the box. I can easily make a face fillet between one wall of the box and the circular boss by selecting the two surfaces. The resultant fillet runs to the top of the box. Obviously the rad I specify is able to reach both surfaces. This is ok and I can do this.

However, if the boss extends above the edge of the box it won't work. What I still want to do is get a fillet between the wall and the boss but only up to the edge of the box. Can I do that??

This is an example and no, I cant just add the boss extension after filleting as in 1) above. The real situation is not so simple.

Is there a way of specifying a face fillet but only up to a certain point / face / edge??

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1) Consider the inside corner of a boxthe box..... This is an example and no.....

We spend all this time learning to use geometry (SolidWorks) to communicate. Let's communicate with geometry. Post your example here.

If your file is proprietary simply make up a dummy file the exhibits the same behavior that will solve your problem.

FreddyB,

Perhaps you can use a split line on the boss at the plane of the top of the box wall. The fillet should then stop there.

- - -Updraft

It looks like the issue you're having is due to the feature behind the cylindrical boss (Boss-extrude 5). If you make this feature up to the height of the box your fillet will work. You can always make the fillet then cut away this feature to the depth you need. Alternatively you an just extrude a sketch of the fillet you need instead of trying to force the fillet command to work.

Dan

Dan's Blog

Hi Dan,

I usually make the fillets up using a sketch but because in the part I'm working on now I have lots of fillets and I can't pattern them it's very time consuming. I tried taking the feature to the top and yes, you can then make the fillet - but cutting the new shaped insert back is equally time consuming.

I'm just surprised that the fillet function isn't a little more sophisticated. If only it were possible to define a face fillet by not only nominating the two faces but a limit to where the fillet should extend i.e. by selecting a third feature - a vertex or face.

A candidate for 2011? Or is it really the case that no one else needs the function?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back