Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Factor of Safety for Foundation Overturning 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadblow

Structural
Jul 13, 2015
US
Hello All,

I am designing the foundations for a pre-engineered metal building and would like to know what safety factor you all are comfortable to use for overturning checks. I am using IBC 2009 and as far as I can tell, code does not mandate a specific S.F. for the overturning of foundations. I see that in 1807.2.3, the minimum S.F. for retaining wall design is 1.5. I would think 1.5 should be my S.F., but some of these foundations must be very large to meet a S.F. of 1.5.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think you only need to satisfy the load combinations. 0.6D + W or 0.6D + 0.7E. Using the load combinations gives you a factor of safety of 1.67 using service level loads which is D + W or D + 0.7E.

Exactly, some load combinations have taken to embedding the 1.5 F.S. against overturning into the combination -- often without a lot of explanation that they're doing it.

What about a case when you only have 60% of your dead load to resist the wind? I do not consider 0.6D + W to be an extreme case where I can take FS=1.0, that is, I use an "additional" factor of safety on my 0.6D + W load case.

I'm not bothering to double check the way the limit states factors work in the IBC at the moment, but as an extra point of clarification I'm assuming it's a 1.5 factor of safety against overturning on top of an assumption that reducing the dead load to 90% makes it a conservative value. This would be generally in line with the way it works in Canada.

You're basically checking:

(0.9 * Dead) / Wind >= 1.5

0.9/0.6 = 1.5. As mentioned above, the load combination of 0.6DL+WL has the factor of safety built in, they just do a very poor job of explaining that in the code. If you're using unfactored loads, then yes, you want the factor of safety of 1.5.

Swiver -- depends how dead your dead load actually is. I've also seen the 0.9 value as a conservative (or realistic) proportion of DL to use when it is beneficial to your system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back