Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Facultative Lagoon Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmstod

Civil/Environmental
Sep 12, 2003
US
I am in the process of formulating the process design for a 5 MGD facultaive lagoon WWTP with pond depths of 7'. BOD and SS loadings are quite high: 26,000 #/day and 29,800 #/day respectively primarily due to milk processing wastes. Client does not want to supplement natural aeration/photosynthesis process with mechanical aeration in the winter (quite windy location). The average winter air temperture is 47.3 F. The calculated BOD loading to determine surface area needed, depending on the reference, varies between 17.4 #/ac-day to 168 #/ac-day. The references are somewhat dated. With my reserch to date, 40#/acre-day BOD loading rate seems reasonable. Current loading 56#/acre-day but at times D.O. maintenance is problematic. Any feedback on best references and/or recommended loadings?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Where are you ? Who is the regulatory agency who will review and approve your plans ? Check with them first to see if they have criteria you must use !

Good luck

Thanks Guys. I had used M&E as one reference. The tip from emma2000 looks good and hopefully will provide the needed confirmation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back