Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

`Failed to save' SW2005 SP0.1 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kensai

Mechanical
Dec 13, 2002
GB
I am using solidworks 2005 sp0.1.
I have WIN2K S.P4
dual Xeon 2.8GHz PC with RAID0.
Multiple users on the network with sw.
I am continually presented with the error message

`failed to save document'

When trying to save sw parts, drawings or assemblies.

Please help, as my sw support company and I.T manager don't have an answer!!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thx for the quick response.

The thing is, I don't have any add-ins.

Some more info on my problem.

Our network has evolved, we had all of our sw stuff on the one stand-alone PC at first, but due to deminishing had-drive capacity we had to move the stuff to a sever then move it again to cd-roms. We then got a new server months later and moved all the files from the cd-roms to the new server, I then made all the files write-enabled and ran the sw conversion programme with them.The thing is this `failed to save' problem is happening with newly created parts as well as with the old stuff. I am totally lost and confused.
My Solidworks programme has not worked properly ever since I moved all my files to the server.

Did you happen to use the Copy Settings Wizard when setting up SolidWorks? If so I have your answer. The default location for the backup files is also copied. Chances are this directory doesn't exist on all computers. To fix go to the "Systems Options" page and select "Backup". Then change the directory from there

I had setup a backup directory myself after solidworks was installed. C:\Backup

I have just opened a new part.

Tried to save it on the server and `failed to save' appears

I tried to save it on my hard-drive and it saves no prob.

You would think that this would point you in the direction of a network problem, yes?

This is what I said it would be to my I.T manager he seemed to think it was solidworks.

I have just looked at my solidworks programme directory after the hole wizard said it couldn't save into my c:\solidworks\data directory and lo and behold I don't have permissions for my own programme directories!
I have about six different login names on this PC because the other five were useless. I think giving me permissions will solve the problem, but I'll have to wait 'till tomorrow to find out.

Thanks guys, I'll keep you up to date on this.

I had the same problem today - though I am working and saving LOCALLY, not over the network.

I think, this is just one of the many bugs in SW

I almost always have this problem when I save over our Novell network but not when I save locally. Some other machines here don't have the problem like the machine I use.

We started working off our local drives because our network sucks so bad. When we are done modeling the assembly we just move our files back to the network where they are stored.

Ok, we got a solution.

When I enabled write access to the sw files, win2k reported that this had been done, it hadn't. This was because my win2k account didn't have priviledges to change the attributes of these files.

My Amdin. changed the attributes on all the files.

Solidworks no longer has the error message `Failed to save'.

Thanks for the help guys.

Onwards and upwards!

For the first time in four years I have the correct hardware, video card, O/S, and network setup, I can know use Solidworks!

And no, I didn't, you never know when It'll be your turn to slip-up. (but, I did feel like doing it) :p

For what it's worth, I recommend never saving data files within a program directory. In fact, it's also good to save on a drive other than your system drive or at least to back up all files to a non-system drive.

If you ever have to reinstall SW, you'll want to make sure you don't have any parts hidden in your program directories or they will be trashed.

I have a client who just lost everything on a hard drive melt-down. It was a single drive with a partition--so the data files were saved on the non-system drive in theory. But the hard drive is permanently hosed and I cannot reclaim their data. (Should have been backing up--but didn't.) So there go all the data files with the crashed drive.

Jeff Mowry
Industrial Designhaus, LLC

The solution to this is suprisingly simple.

In the ADD-INS section I had BluebeamPDF ticked
and save as PDF ticked.

This is a conflict.

Deselect the `save as PDF' option and everything works OK.

At last.

Thanks for all the help.

SWscience called it right thanks man!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back