Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

failure for hyperelastic material

Status
Not open for further replies.

jisb007

Bioengineer
May 14, 2005
US
Dear all,

I am modeling something using hyperelastic material model. Could someone tell me how to define the material failure? I looked up in "failure tensile; shear failure" etc., but they only apply for either plastic or elatic. Does abaqus support material failure model for the hyperelatic materials?

Thanks all.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi jisb007;

Failure in hyperelastic testing is pretty straightforward:

In uniaxial (simple) tension, it is the breaking of the specimen.

In pure shear (planar tension), it often is also the breaking of the specimen, HOWEVER, the specimen will typically break at the grips. An additional problem is that, once the width:height ratio of the test specimen is no longer greater than 10:1, it's not really pure shear anymore, so, in a way, the test 'should' end when we're no longer measuring pure shear.

In equal biaxial extension, failure cannot be measured (since the highest stresses are in the tabs, not in the effective gage area)

In simple compression, there really is no such thing as failure; you compress the material as hard as you can, until you / your test frame / your load cell runs out of force.

OK, so that's a little more difficult than I made it sound in the first line of my post... I guess I haven't really heard of elastomers being used for destructive applications, so failure isn't an issue nearly as often as it is for plastics or metals etc.

Hope I helped, sorry if not...

Ron

It seems it's something wrong out there. There is a html version of the article. Do a search on google using "hyperelasticity failure criteria" and look for the link I sent you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back