Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Failure of tube/pipe 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Looks like the forcing cone of a revolver. Torsional overload at 0 hours of service? This happened as the barrel was being screwed into the receiver/frame? Your highlighted spot could be suspect, I would also look at where the shoulder that is now mostly missing on the left hand side of the barrel in the sectioned picture contacts the receiver/frame.

Looks to me like lamellar tearing. That usually comes from tension perpendicular to the plate. Torsional rotation would cause circumferential shearing stress in a tube which seems unlikely to cause the type of failure observed here. If it is lamellar tearing, it may have been exposed to perpendicular tension during the fabrication process, possibly due to uneven heating.

Capture_pyn8to.jpg

[highlight #FCE94F]Torsional overload at 0 hours of service?[/highlight]
I thought it maybe could happend during the assembly, excess of torque during the assembly... ?

[highlight #FCE94F]This happened as the barrel was being screwed into the receiver/frame?[/highlight]
Yes, you are right!

Wouldn't lamellar tearing only happen in weld areas? There is no weld in this section, the tube is screwed to the frame.

So from the three phots provided, it looks to me like someone just seriously over torqued the shaft. You seem to have a small bearing area where the screwed in shaft contacts the element it is being screwed into and if there is any sort of bending going on at the same time you can initiate failure.

what sort of torque were you using?

If makes life much easier if you attach images

InkedC.H_1_LI_xc58nt.jpg
CH_2__1_rfqnsa.jpg
IMG_7394-1_mm8pbi.jpg

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

M.SBR said:
Wouldn't lamellar tearing only happen in weld areas? There is no weld in this section, the tube is screwed to the frame.

Usually only happens in weld areas. I wondered if the 410SS plate had been exposed to excessive heat in one area during the manufacture of the tube, but admittedly, that seems unlikely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back