Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Failure when repositioning patterned deformable component

Status
Not open for further replies.

crecore

Mechanical
Mar 11, 2010
US
An associate had a scenario where he had to deform a part in his assembly.

I helped him create the deformation definition and it is a very simple one (one of the tubes is definable).

The assembly contains several of the same parts deformed the same way in a linear pattern.

I instructed him to create a sketch for the deformable portion. We then patterned the sketch and patterned the component so that the other instances could easily be deformed exactly the same as the first. I thought that we would make it break proof so we created an expression of the linear distance and tied both the feature pattern distance and the component pattern distance to that expression. The patterned deformable parts split into pieces if the expression is changed. Without being deformed it all works as it should. I suspect this may be a limitation in how the deformable parts work but it may also be a glitch or a enhancement request. I thought that I would start here for any insight.

thanks

NX 1847
TC 11.5

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It is hard for me to tell without seeing the constraints and assembly.
But I have a suggestion.
Is it possible for you to constraint the components using their datum planes and axis' ? When the model changes, the edges and faces that are being constrained to can change, and may affect the constraint.
Change the Reference Set of the component in the assembly from MODEL to ENTIRE PART.
If you are able to re-constrain using the datum planes and axis then attempt to do that.
When finished change your reference set back to MODEL, and deform your part.

Jerry J.
UGV5-NX11

Good thought but the original constrained component does not fail. It is the bodies of the patterned components that fail. The non deformed portion of the body and the deformed portion separate.

NX 1847
TC 11.5

I'm guessing zou are using a coordinate system in your deformable part?
Make sure it is set to dynamic. otherwise you might run into issues when placing in assemblies.

Ronald van den Broek
Senior Application Engineer
Winterthur Gas & Diesel Ltd
NX9 / TC10.1.2

Building new PLM environment from Scratch using NX12 / TC11

There is a coordinate system in the deformable part but it is not a used feature in the deformation definition. I feel that the deformed body is defined at a point in space and time. The result is the component moves but the deformed body remains and its old position resulting it what appears like a disjointed body. Odd since NX does not allow disjointed bodies like some other programs do.

NX 1847
TC 11.5

crecore said:
The result is the component moves but the deformed body remains and its old position resulting it what appears like a disjointed body
That is exactly what happens when the CSYS isn't set to dynamic. When you add the deformable part (with an absolute csys on 0,0,0) to an assembly, it will try to deform it absolute on 0,0,0. It doesn't matter if the csys is configured in the deformable feature or not. This will, in most cases, result in a disjointed body.

Ronald van den Broek
Senior Application Engineer
Winterthur Gas & Diesel Ltd
NX9 / TC10.1.2

Building new PLM environment from Scratch using NX12 / TC11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back