Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Fake Credentials 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobPE

Civil/Environmental
Jan 28, 2002
US
I was reading the paper yesterday and came across an article on a structural engineer that was giving expert testimony on a court case. He was investigated and it was determined that their degree was from a the University of Berkley, not in CA but in Erie, PA. Turns out it was a diploma mill that was shut down.

How do we begin to regulate charlatans from our business? This person obviously felt they were a structural engineer, but with no verification required, they became a structural engineer.

Should we be the mouthpiece for our ethics, or do we continue to let this occur? How can we stop it?

I felt this was an interesting topic for discussion...

Bob

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

FYI:
Per the Harrisburg Patriot News "Know at Noon - Top Stories At Midday", found here:

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Judge modifies order against 'diploma mill'
A judge reversed an order to shut down an Erie-based Internet site accused by state officials of being a diploma mill but barred the site from doing business in Pennsylvania or with state residents. Erie County Judge William Cunningham yesterday dissolved a temporary restraining order he issued earlier this month directing the University of Berkley to shut down its site. The revised order also unfreezes the assets of Dennis J. Globosky, who runs the school. The attorney general's office, which is trying to shut down the site permanently, will appeal the order today. The original restraining order will remain in effect pending that appeal, spokeswoman Barbara Petito says. - AP

Remember: The Chinese ideogram for “crisis” is comprised of the characters for “danger” and “opportunity.”
-Steve

Further update:
Per PennLive.com's Patriot-News Know@Noon:
TOP STORIES AT MIDDAY
Tuesday, August 09, 2005
Internet degree site may continue, but not in Pa.
A northwestern Pennsylvania-based Internet site accused by state officials of being a diploma mill may do business anywhere but Pennsylvania as the attorney general's office fights to shut it down, a judge has ruled. Commonwealth Court Senior Judge Jess Jiuliante upheld an Erie County judge's decision to dissolve a temporary restraining order directing the University of Berkley to shut down its site. The judge also unfroze the assets of Dennis J. Globosky, who runs the school. Attorney General Tom Corbett alleges that the school has churned out at least 12,500 worthless degrees for $2,100 or $5,000 each, for a total of up to $34 million. Spokeswoman Barbara Petito says the office is considering an appeal.

Remember: The Chinese ideogram for “crisis” is comprised of the characters for “danger” and “opportunity.”
-Steve

The only people that can prevent this are the hiring managers. We are our own police force in this issue. I have not had a problem with fake credentials but I have had several problems with "claimed experience". Some of the things that we can do are:

1. Accept only graduates of ABET approved degree programs. If this is not possible, require the canidate to be an EIT and verify this with the state board. The EIT process is a good rule to follow anyway.
2. Force HR to get copies of all degrees (many still will not automatically do this) or get them yourself.
3. Get certified transcript copies from the school, not just a copy of a degree.
4. Do reference checks yourself. Do not trust anyone else to do it for you. I have been burned several times by this one.
5. READ everything! (just in case) Many people send you junk thinking that no one has the time to read it.

I have read many articles over the past few years regarding the job market over the next ten to fifteen years. The pool of employees will be far less than the available jobs. The fake credentials problem will only get worse in this situation so we have to protect ourselves now.

The PE certification process will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back