Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fall Protection Details & Code Requirements for Pre-Engineered Metal Bldg 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngDYIGuy

Structural
Oct 9, 2015
US
I've got a Pre-Engineered Metal Bldg (PEMB) with the typical steel rigid frames, Z-purlins, and standing seem metal roof. The job is to install Solar Panels on the roof with S-5 clamps attached to the standing seem roof (see attachment), and maintenance crews will have to routinely access and service the equipment on the roof. There is no parapet wall, and no metal decking under the standing seem metal roof panels. Standing seam roof manufacture does not recommend walking on the roof panel (or concentrated loads on the panels), and it voids the roof warranty. So a catwalk system will be installed with the same S-5 clamps (see attached). I've checked that the new loads are within 5% of existing conditions (per IEBC requirement), and it's very, very close but works.

I've got a few questions:

1.) I was thinking of anchoring permanent fall protection into the rigid frame flange. See attached detail I took off the web of stanchion bolted into flange of rigid frame rafter, note that there is no rigid insulation on my structure. What other options are there? Anything available to avoid roof penetrations?

2.) Does any building design guidance require permanent fall protection to be installed for routine roof access? I'm interested in USA code.

3.) Any other issues foreseen? I know that roof penetrations may void the roof manufactures warranty. What about 4 bolt holes through the building manufactures flange of the rafter of the rigid moment frame? These buildings have very little reserved demand/capacity ratio for most structural members. Any concerns with putting fall protection loads into these members? What codes exist for the design of the fall protection?

Attachment:

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'd have likely extended a little stub, with sheet metal at U/S of deck and put the stub to upright connection with fabreeka insulating material. In these environs, the detail likely will have a frost buidup and will drip due to the higher temperatures at the ceiling line.

Dik

I'd suggest reviewing OSHA requirements with the owner of the building. Note that 1910.28(b)(13), "Work on low-slope roofs", has several options, and it is not automatically necessary to furnish fall arrest systems. Guardrails may be more bother, but may give lower loads than fall-protection anchors.

This particular project will require a narrow catwalk system without a guard railing along the outer perimeter of the roofs edge. The roof pitch is 1/12. I believe fall protection is required for any work over 4 feet, without an edge set back. Also, the roofs edge does not have a parapet wall.

The manufacture of the catwalk system has a railing system that can be installed, but I know that the roof framing is to light to take the additional 200 lb concentrated load of the railing system, that will be imposed into the Z-purlins. Here is the system:

Fall protection need not be "permanent", by code - it only needs to be available when needed. That said, it only makes sense that if personnel are to be on the roof, and near the edge on a regular basis, then a "permanent" solution is warranted. You can avoid making holes through your fancy, raintight standing-seam roof by using something like the horizontal lifeline kits from folks like "Miller Fall Protection". These also have bases which clamp on to the standing seams of the roof - saving the creation of a lot of dripping holes in the roof.
Dave

Thaidavid

I've used these guys for your exact situation. We installed a walkway and a track to hook a lanyard to. As I remember we didn't penetrate the roof except for some corner posts. They did the design and sealed the drawings.
As far as your question no. 3, We didn't penetrate the roof with the track or walkway attachments and used the SSR approved clamps. So the warranty wasn't an issue.
One important issue to think of is corners. If you're connected at the ridge and are near the corner, you can swing around, use up the slack and the friction brake won't catch you. The manufacturer can help you to design around this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back