Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Family of Parts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CADSkills

Mechanical
Jan 19, 2007
US
Hope this is clear....

I've saved a part that has a family of parts(15 total) as a new #. I see the the new #'s family of parts still are named as the old part numbers, which i expected, with the same path and all. With in the newly saved parent part i added a protrusion that i want to to be shown in the new part and its family members. My next step was to go in to the family table of the new number, rename the children, and with-in the path, change the name of the parts. This was all good. I then make sure my new protrusion added to the new part is unsuppressed. Then i select all the members and populate......I get the dialog, that there was an error for each and every member. And a "?" pop up in the "Status" row (im doing all this thru SE, not Insight)....confused.

SO, i go back to the original part, open it, look at the family of parts, they all have a "?" status. So i select all members, populate and they work fine and are linked. So i go back to the new part, without doing anything they are linked fine and no more "?". BUT that new protusion i added does not show up in the newly saved part. I made sure it was unsupressed, still not there.

The new part seems to be linked to the old part somehow. I'm not sure what the issue is, but if anyone has ideas...LMK

Solidworks 2005
Solid Edge V17

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

I would have done it this way assuming the MasterPart and
the members are in one folder:

- open the MasterPart in RevisionManager
- expand all CTRL+* (when not already done)
- select all CTRL+A
- Manage --> Set Action to --> Copy
(not Rename that will move the parts)
- Manage --> Set Path
- Browse to your new folder -->

Now click on the green Arrow in the upper tool bar. Now
all should be OK.

When you copy the MasterPart on it's own with Rev-Manager *and*
you answer the Pop-Up window to copy the members as well with
NO then only the MasterPart will be copied. Now upon opening
the copied MasterPart and getting into the table you will notice
that doing an RMB on one member (column heading) that the rename
is no longer greyed out. Thus you are now able to rename each of
the member and during populate you will create new members in
that new folder

BTW: setting a new path within the table of the MasterPart
will MOVE all that stuff to the new location!

dy

thanks! I haven't use dthe revision manager much but i can see from what you say, that it may be an easier alternative.

I was able to get it to all work out correctly after a second try. But i think i'll go thur your suggestion next time.

Again thanks

Solidworks 2005
Solid Edge V17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back