Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fan Efficiency??? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thealanator

Electrical
Jul 9, 2007
US
A colleague just told me that a contractor changed out some fans on a couple of cooling towers at our facility. He said that the amp draw dropped from 40 to 18 and asked if we might be able to calculate energy savings. Supposedly the blades are of a new design, with a honeycomb structure.

My first impression is that there are too many variables at play (power factor, speed, air pressure, humidity, etc.). Can the mass of a blade make that much difference?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't think blade mass can make that much difference, but let's see what the others in the forum have to say.

Are you sure you got the same blade geometry? Is it possible to measure air velocity versus previous?

Goober Dave

A better than 50% gain in efficiency within the same physical envelope is highly unlikely.

That big a drop in amps can probably only come with a big drop in the air moved.

Such huge difference could be due to

(a) The existing fan is so highly inefficient !
(b) The new fan is running at lower speed ? VFD ?

HVAC68

Steady state power consumption is proportional to airflow, dp and efficiency. Assuming the airflow and dp are constant, this would necessitate a massive improvement in efficiency.

The mass of the blades would affect transient energy consumption, if the blades speed changed a lot, but again I doubt this much.

There are real world scenarios you could imagine, most of which involving a VFD, but I lean towards the contractor cleaning the tower fill at the same time as replacing the fan blades.

Was the fan-change part of a complete overhaul of the coolingtowers?

Maybe the coils/fins were changed or cleaned and this resulted in less resistance, lowering the power of the fan.

As for the energy-saving: calculate fan-power from the measured amps and then have an educated guess of the number of hours the fans run annually. Multiply and you have kWh.

If you want to calculate the energy savings and simply ignore what has happened (not good engineering ethics but adequate to fulfill your boss' request ;-) ) you can:

(1) strap a power logger to the MCC fan feed and measure actual consumption,

(2) if your electrical vault has a power quality analyzer (Power Logic panel, for example), then go in afterhours when all the systems are off and the cleaners are gone, find the power meter and record the kW, go to the DDC and turn on the fan, and return to the panel to take the kW reading. Multiply the kW by the hours of operation and you have your kWh,

(3) multiply the new Amps x Volts = Watts x hours = kWh as a ballpark estimate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back