Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

FAQs are kind of gone 1

lexpatrie

Structural
Aug 20, 2009
US
Looks like a large number of the FAQs I created are gone with the new site/forum backend. I won't be rebuilding them.

Cheers.

I'll probably drop off activity here, if not cease, too. Considering. It's been fun, though. I was really intending that to be something of use to more than just me, but also useful to me, and now it's gone. Maybe I can salvage them from the internet archive, when that comes back up, but that was a lot of effort (again primarily for my own benefit but "out there" for others to refer to), and yeah. Discouraged.

Regards,
Brian

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi @lexpatrie , perhaps try posting about this on the "New Forum Platform" forum? It's at the top of the list. They've been replying and helping out on some of the other threads and maybe they can help you (us) too! Would hate to see you go.

Hi Lex, sorry to hear that, I understand the sentiment. Lucky for us, EngTips has been updated so that every link and interface is tracked through AWS interface, to watch all your moves on this website and other sites, to better serve ads, isn't the future great?

View attachment 29
Hi

We don't track link clicks on the site. Links that are clicked from email are recorded as clicked.

Jon

Looks like a large number of the FAQs I created are gone with the new site/forum backend. I won't be rebuilding them.

Cheers.

I'll probably drop off activity here, if not cease, too. Considering. It's been fun, though. I was really intending that to be something of use to more than just me, but also useful to me, and now it's gone. Maybe I can salvage them from the internet archive, when that comes back up, but that was a lot of effort (again primarily for my own benefit but "out there" for others to refer to), and yeah. Discouraged.

Regards,
Brian
HI,

We're looking at the FAQ issue. We have a backup of everything so once we sort out what is happening they will be restored.

Jon

Is one reason I don't frequent post forums anymore. Started questioning OCD tendencies, and ultimately its not worth it. If it bothers that much, it probably is worth not devoting so much effort.

For what it's worth, I valued what you were doing with the FAQs. How many times does one have to explain the difference between a fixed and a pinned connection after all?? At least quarterly it seems. The tension only bracing was a good fit for FAQ treatment.

Cheers.

Regards,
Brian
HI, These have been restored. There's a few issues with some of the markup elements that are working to correct as well.

Jon

Cheers Jon!

Any chance we can get this thread unlocked?

And if we are doing wish list items, once the FAQs are all restored, if we can get some special consideration regarding deleting these two that would be fantastic..

And

Neither of these can be responded to (they are FAQs with somebody long inactive asking a question), and one belongs in a software forum, if nothing else.

Thanks everyone else for the comments especially KootK, even the "maybe quit" comments i appreciated as they are supportive in their own way, saying it's okay to dial back or quit. I hear that OCD comment too. Got twitchy this am without the site to meander through.

As a side note, and to continue to indulge my penchant for editing posts ad infinitum, there's a fair degree of rework ability to the FAQ, things can be moved about so the board categories can be shuffled about and reorganized and of course additional entries can be created, and I'm a "top level" thinker so I try to keep stuff all on the main pile (unlike, say, the resources where there's a collection of links inside the FAQ) anyway, feedback is appreciated and you can also use feedback on existing ones to message me on new ideas or things I've missed (or perhaps worded poorly or outright gotten wrong).

Just note that at least historical historically it was not possible to add images. One can circumvent that via linking to a post but it won't show an image inline. And posts eventualy get locked so they cant be revised indefinitely like a FAQ.That may perhaps change with the new site and backend.

Last edited:
Back