Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Fast Response Heads on Residential Application

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJ1

Mechanical
Feb 9, 2010
US
I am currently retrofitting and old warehouse building to new residential apartment building. I am in the last stages of the job but what is weird is that all prior sprinkler contractors employed standard response sprinklers. My company is employing fast response heads to all new sprinklers installed.
I am 100% sure the building was installed under NFPA 13.
I am almost sure is being retrofit to NFPA 13R.

Could it be that Fire Sub Code did not realize the heads installed by others are standard response. It just surprise me an official did not noticed over 700 standard response heads on a building that is being inspected in stages.

Any input on this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are the heads existing from when it was a warehouse? If so, the system was probably designed for OH1 or greater...what is the head spacing?

also, the following ref. might be an avenue that was taken:

NFPA 13 2010 8.3.3.1 Sprinklers in light hazard occupancies shall be one of the following
(3)Standard response sprinklers used for modifications or additions to existing light hazard systems equipped with standard reponse sprinklers.

"I am almost sure is being retrofit to NFPA 13R."- being "almost" sure has cost a lot of people a lot of money, myself included.

Well let me explain. The system was schedule pipe and it has being converted to hydraulically calculated with new mains and branches for most of it. New upright heads have being installed with all exposed piping inside units as lofts.
I am only dropping new heads from branches with snap-o-lets
to new closets and utility rooms. I am using fast response for those but the rest of the new heads installed by others are standard response.
I thinks it was missed during previous inspections by AHJ.

Is this the same building you posted about where you wanted all of our collective wisdom when converting a full NFPA 13 sprinkler system to a NFPA 13R system? And you didn't know why the conversion occurred?

Really?

This defines any logic. Your converting a fully sprinklered building into a partially sprinklered building and now your challenging the basis for change while supervising people to perpetuate an error. Brilliant.

stookeyfpe your miss understanding what I am saying or converting. Yes this is the same building but just listen to what I am saying.
First of all I am not converting anything
Second of all the building was and is fully sprinklered however it was an open factory of three levels.
The GC is converting this to apartment lofts units of approximately 400 units. (Most likely to be 13R)

What I dont understand is why all previous fire sprinkler contractors that changed existing schedule piping to hydraulically layout used standard response heads instead of fast response. I wonder it was missed in the process by local jurisdiction.
My question is does all residential applications require fast response?

"My question is does all residential applications require fast response?"

NFPA 13 doesn't "require" them so much as it "permits" them, assuming you're referring to residential sprinks, the benefit being the use of the 4 head calc, where it qualifies.

Light hazard requires quick response commercial sprinklers (a type of fast response, but not the same as residential). With these, you're into the density/area or room design calc requirement.

The following sections merit at least a read-through:

NFPA 13 2010 11.3.1 - 11.3.3
NFPA 13 2010 8.4.5
NFPA 13 2010 8.3.3.1

skdesigner thanks for your input. It sounds more like a genuine explanation vs a illogical rude debate.

Then again being the fact that the entire building has being converted into residential light hazard, my question stands as should all the heads must be fast response or not.

As i mentioned before I have being using fast response but the rest of the heads aren't.
Could this means that I could be stirring an issue on site?

Mixing quick response sprinklers with standard response sprinklers can potentially lead to problems (or additional expense) for your comapny. It is definitely a design flaw at the very least.

From NFPA 13 (2002 Edition):

8.3.3 Thermal Sensitivity.
8.3.3.1* Sprinklers in light hazard occupancies shall be one of the following:
(1) Quick-response type as defined in 3.6.2.9
(2) Residential sprinklers in accordance with the requirements of 8.4.5
(3) Standard response sprinklers used for modifications or additions to existing light hazard systems equipped with standard response sprinklers.
(4) Standard response sprinklers used where individual standard response sprinklers are replaced in existing light hazard systems.

8.3.3.2 Where quick-response sprinklers are installed, all sprinklers within a compartment shall be of the quick-response type.
8.3.3.3 Where circumstances require the use of other than ordinary temperature–rated sprinklers, standard response sprinklers shall be permitted to be used.
8.3.3.4 When existing light hazard systems are converted to use quick-response or residential sprinklers, all sprinklers in a compartmented space shall be changed.

From NFPA 13 (2010 Edition):

8.3.3 Thermal Sensitivity.
8.3.3.1* Sprinklers in light hazard occupancies shall be one of the following:
(1) Quick-response type as defined in 3.6.4.7
(2) Residential sprinklers in accordance with the requirements of 8.4.5
(3) Standard-response sprinklers used for modifications or additions to existing light hazard systems equipped with
standard-response sprinklers.
(4) Standard-response sprinklers used where individual
standard-response sprinklers are replaced in existing light
hazard systems.

8.3.3.2 Where quick-response sprinklers are installed, all
sprinklers within a compartment shall be quick-response unless otherwise permitted in 8.3.3.3.
8.3.3.3 Where there are no listed quick-response sprinklers in the temperature range required, standard-response sprinklers shall be permitted to be used.
8.3.3.4 When existing light hazard systems are converted to
use quick-response or residential sprinklers, all sprinklers in a compartmented space shall be changed.

Ok this is great. I think I have obtained enough information to tackle the situation accordingly.
Thanks guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back