Fastener Design 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhavaltrivedimech

Mechanical
Aug 24, 2015
IN
I have few question on fasteners design :

1. How to select the right thread size for particular joint.

2. How to know the tension in the particular joint. Also type and direction of forces/loan on the joint.

3. How to know the minimum no of thread engagement required in the joint.

4. How to know the thread engagement requirement into the joint.

5. How to calculate the tightening torque. Also the Clamping load and Preload.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

i tried searching that way but it is very particular question

What i would like to know is the standard theoretical/practical design calculation not specific to any case study.

i am beginner in these design.

i want a step by step guide to it.

not too complicated.

This subject is well covered in engineering textbooks.

It is not possible to make this "not too complicated" without omitting critical details that could very well be make-or-break in specific applications.

But it is complicated. Very complicated. Try getting a design catalog from HoloKrome or Unbrako (sp?), they have some good fastening guides to get you started. They're free.

I recommend Bolt Science as a good introduction. Also, buy a copy of Machinery's Handbook. Any edition in the last 30 years will be useful, but the latest is not so expensive and will last a lifetime.

Here's a few more for light reading:

NASA Reference Publication 1228 "Fastener Design Manual"
Fasteners - Unbrako Engineering Guide
Bickford, John H. “Introduction to the Design and Behavior of Bolted Joints” 1995, Marcel Dekker, Inc.
Blendulf, Bengt. Fastening Technology & Bolted/Screwed Joint Design.2000.
Bolt Science. Vibration Loosening of Bolts and Threaded Fasteners, Tutorial on Basics of Bolted Joints. 2008.
Comer, Jess. Threaded Fasteners and the Bolted Joint.2004.
Junker, G.H. New criteria for self-loosening of fasteners under vibration, 1969, SAE Trans78:314- 335.

The ref to NASA 1228 by IFRs reminded me to look at my wiki library; found the following free docs:

FED-STD-H28 Screw-Thread Standards for Federal Services

MIL-STD-403 Inactive Preparation and Installation of Rivets and Screws, Rocket, Missile, and Airframe Structures

NASM MS15981 Design and Usage Limitations for Self-Locking, Externally Threaded Fasteners.

NACA Tech. Memo 1135 THE LOAD DISTRIBUTION IN BOLTED OR RIVETED JOINTS IN LIGHT-ALLOY STRUCTURES

NASA Ref Pub 1228 Fastener Design Manual

NASA-STD-5020 - REQUIREMENTS FOR THREADED FASTENING SYSTEMS IN SPACEFLIGHT HARDWARE

MIL-HDBK-60 - Tightening to Proper Tension

Specification for Structural Joints Using High-Strength Bolts by the Research Council on Structural Connections

FAA Advisory Circulars
AC 20-71, “Dual Locking Devices on Fasteners,” December 8, 1970
AC 23.607-1, “Self-Locking Nuts on Bolts Subject to Rotation,” August 24, 1984.

FAA Chapter 07

I also found a notation I think I got here about a book:

Permanent Fasteners for Light-Weight Structures - K Hoffer Breman, 1984 (if you can find it, buy it.)

"i want a step by step guide to it. not too complicated."

Perhaps a course of study other than engineering or design might be a consideration.

It is better to have enough ideas for some of them to be wrong, than to be always right by having no ideas at all.

dhavaltrivedimech

What industry do You work as an engineer in?

Industrial
Automotive
Aerospace
Nautical
Hydraulics/pneumatics
Architectural
Civil
Nuclear
Electrical
Etc Etc...

Each engineering specialty [and most sizeable companies there-in] has [have] design standards for fasteners and fastening including analytical tools. This is especially critical due to the massive variety of materials being fastened in various environments for various purposes.

NOTE.
Many professional organizations [like SAE, ASME, AIA, etc] sponsor pertinent specifications for various design/fab aspects, within their profession... like fasteners.

Regards, Wil Taylor

o Trust - But Verify!
o We believe to be true what we prefer to be true.
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible.
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion"]
o Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. [Picasso]

Bolted joint design is complicated. ASME offers an online, instructor lead course in bolted joint design. I took it and highly recommend it. It is a lot of work, so don't expect to just do a bit of reading and be done.

ASME EL512 - The Bolted Joint

Marvin83 said:
Hello

I would recomend VDI 2230 - Systematic calculation of high duty bolted joints Joints with one cylindrical bolt

We are developping a web where we applz it:

Best regards

VDI2230 is a great resource. not cheap, not astronomical. Worth it for those that need it.

Your online calculator gives torque in Newton / Meter. Please correct that, as when I see that, it doesn't give me confidence in the rest...

Nah.

Metric stinks as a machining system.
Meters are useless.
cm are almost OK
mm are too big, not precise enough
1/100 and 1/10 mm are too small. 1/2, 1/5 and 1/4 mm are "anti-French"...

And don't even get me complianing about the G*d*mn Phonecians and their friggin' 360-90-60-24-60-60 circle-degree-hour-minute-second system!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back