Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

fastening aluminum to mild steel or stainless steel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rustang

Mechanical
Dec 26, 2002
We have a project where we have some aluminum ducting that will have mild steel support brackets fastened to them with stainless 304 fasteners. Will mild steel facilitate corrosion between these two metals faster than stainless? (The mild steel will be painted with Dupont Imron prior to assembly) What would be a suitable barrier to put between the two dissimilar metals to prevent corrosion?

thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This will be outside exposed to the atmosphere.

Aybee, I'm not sure I understand your statement. "if the stainless is in contact with the aluminium in air then the aluminium will corrode even if the carbon steel is painted" We are looking at either fastening mild steel to the aluminum, or stainless to aluminum, providing it would have corrosion advantages.

thanks
rustang

My guess is that this probably some sort of HVAC system ? The aluminum will oxidize over and corrode slightly if biological growths are permitted to remain on the duct work causing hole type pitting. The stainless fasteners are fine in direct contact with the aluminum if you use some sort of silicone sealant to protect from moisture ingress.

Remember: For galvanic corrosion to happen you need two dissimilar metals in the presence of an electrolyte. Eliminate one of these, almost no corrosion happens. If you eliminate the moisture path, chances are you will eliminate the corrosion also.

We use this same combination to insulate pressure vessels quite frequently.

The APIGUY....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back