Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Fatigue life of 17-4PH H1150 bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

APRRK

Mechanical
Aug 14, 2018
CA
Have to calculate a 17-4PH H1150 (bar) Kt = 3 / 4 lug fatigue life; unfortunately MMPDS-06 has the S/N curve for the H900, H1025 & H1100 but not for the H1150. If anyone could point me to a H1150 S/N curve source or confirm, if a newer edition of MMDPS has the H1150 S/N curve that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!
Artur

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You might have to get a subscription to IHS or a similar service to find what you're looking for. I don't think that data exists for that particular HT/Alloy, so you would either have to do the experiments (long and time consuming) or find a way to justify using a similar alloy/HT.

My company can do the testing if you require it, but I suspect it's less expensive to find an alloy that has the data already available.

Aerospace Structural Metals Handbook [ASMH] 1501 17-4PH CRES

Figure 3.5.1.5 Fatigue properties of smooth and notched specimens in air and brackish water at room temperature

17-4PH, 1-in. Plate
Condition H1150
Rotating cantilever beam, R = -1
Smooth
Notched
Air
Brackish Water

Fig. 3.5.3.2 Fatigue-crack growth rate as a function of stress-intensity-factor range with variations in melting practice, heat-treatment, and stress ratio (R) (Ref. 48)

Argon-Oxygen Melt Condition H1150

Regards, Wil Taylor

o Trust - But Verify!
o We believe to be true what we prefer to be true. [Unknown]
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible. [variation,Stuart Chase]
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion", Homebuiltairplanes.com forum]

Worldtraveller; Thank you for your recommendations. It is good to know someone with the capability to do the necessary tests; unfortunately this project is time sensitive and resource driven. Long story short as you suggested, we are considering 15-5PH H1025 for the future, higher Ftu/Fty with S/N curve equations…

Cheers,
Artur

Taylor; Excellent news! One hiccup, I have a PDF of ASMH 1972 from Air Force Material Laboratory / AD737970, obviously this is not the one you are referring to. Could you help me out with the publisher or with the figure, if that is not proprietary or copy righted information. The load in my case is R=0, however the data would allow me to draw a correlation (at least attempt to) between H1100 and H1150.

Many thanks,
Artur

APRRK...

I have a copy of a ~20-YO ASMH Hdbk. The examples listed are not full extent of data for H1150 fatigue data. I am not comfortable copying/pasting that data [SN figures], here.

NOTE.

Several years ago the ASMH was handed-over to industry for maintenance and updates.... and has been renamed as Aerospace Structural Metals Database. Subscription costs are 'significant'.... however many libraries still have the older ASMH on shelves [or on-line].

In real terms the ASMD [ASMH] along with MMPDS... would replace a corporate-developed metals database/design handbook series with highly authoritative data recognized by the FAA and DoD.... assuming industry standards and practices for aerospace metals specifications and basic heat treatments, etc.

CINDAS
1501 = ASMH designation for 17-4PH CRES, all forms.

other examples...

1309 = 347 & 348 CRES [all forms]

3203 = 2024 aluminum bare/wrought products

3222 = 7050 aluminum [all]

3505 = HM31A magnesium [all]

4103 = Inconel 718

Etc.

Regards, Wil Taylor

o Trust - But Verify!
o We believe to be true what we prefer to be true. [Unknown]
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible. [variation,Stuart Chase]
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion", Homebuiltairplanes.com forum]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back