Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fatigue properties for cast iron

Status
Not open for further replies.

atorcell

Mechanical
May 18, 2000
IT
Looking for fatigue data for cast irons such as 60-40-18 (GS 400) and 65-45-12 (GS 500).<br>if anybody knows were to find these.. please help

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I too need this data but haven't had the time to track it down yet. I found a reference in a source but don't know how good it is.

J.F.Janowak, A.Alagarsamy, and D. Venugoplalan, &quot;Fatigue Strength of Commercial Ductile Irons.&quot;, Transactions, American Foundrymen's Society, Vol 98, 1990, Paper #90-123.

I hope this helps. If you do find a source I would appriciate you letting me know what it is.

Thanks

ASM Metals Handbook, Ninth Edition, Volume 1 contains text and graphs on fatigue life and fatigue limit, beginning on page 21, with additional info beginning on page 43 and then on page 665. The handbook is available in most reference libraries.

I don't know what is in the 9th edition, but the tenth edition has several S-N curves on page 39 for specific grades. None of which are 60-40-18 or 65-45-12. On page 47 in has a band for S-N data but the band is about 10ksi wide. (i.e. typical values). From this a person might make a reasonable &quot;guess&quot; but that is probably not good enough for an optimized design or a FAA requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back