US
I'm looking for software for fault current or short circuit calculations.<br>
This software is to allow the correct selection of the AIC rating for<br>
electrical panels.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ben:<br>
<br>
The electric utility you are connected to typically supplies the Available Short Circuit Current upon request.<br>
<br>
If you are connected to a generator of some sort, the manufacturer specifications should list the AIC required.<br>
<br>
DeWayne

A company called Technical Training Group (800-874-8883) offers a training course on this topic (Short Circuit Analysis). They have created a quick and easy method on how to do it. You may be able to call and buy the manual if you cannot take the course. The calculations are simple and straight forward.<br>
<br>
Otherwise, try contacting some of the fuse manufacturers (i.e. Gould/Ferraz, Bussmann, Littelfuse).

Suggested software which are advertised very well on web sites are:<br>
1. SKM, Inc. software called Dapper, A-Fault, Captor, etc.<br>
<A HREF=" TARGET="_new">2. EDSA Power System Analysis Software by EDSA Microcorporation<br>
<A HREF=" TARGET="_new">3. Operation Technology, Inc. software called Etap<br>
<A HREF=" TARGET="_new">All the above software are good, depending on your application and industry, and shall suffice for your needs.

There is a quick and easy spread sheet for fault calculations at mikeholt.com. This spread sheet is set up to detrermine AIC for service equipment. Get there by going to site map then to calculations.

Be warned this is a basic calculation that needs information to fill in the blanks and does not add motor contribution to the calculated fault. It will get you to an AIC as quickly as any I have used and is betteer than using only the Utility contribution.

Suggestion to dspell (Mechanical) Jun 10, 1999 marked ///\\Ben:

The electric utility you are connected to typically supplies the Available Short Circuit Current upon request.
///These parameters are good at the upper tiers of the power distribution system. Any power distribution downstream may need to be refined to establish lower fault levels and not to pay for unnecessarily expensive electrical equipment because of excessive short circuit currents or faults. Also, at some points, there may be motors that contribute to the short circuit levels.\\
If you are connected to a generator of some sort, the manufacturer specifications should list the AIC required.
///Again, my above comment applies. Also, one must account for motor contributions of short circuit currents to the faults.\\
DeWayne

Lakshmipathi23,

Go to the ETAP web site and request the demo CD, you have no chance of getting the package for &quot;Free&quot;

Midos

lakshmipathi23

You can contact ETAP at 949-462-0100 for a free demo. I have used the software on a number of projects and is worth it if the project can justify the cost. Being modular you dont have to buy everything!

Suggestion: The posted commercial packages by the major software developers, e.g.
1. SKM, Inc. software called Dapper, A-Fault, Captor, etc.
2. EDSA Power System Analysis Software by EDSA Microcorporation
3. Operation Technology, Inc. software called Etap
are comprehensive software tools for the electrical power system modeling, analysis, computations, etc. They are fairly complex and expensive to develop and are not for free beside limited demo periods with some restrictions.
There may be proprietary expertise programmed in the software, e.g. algorithms.
The manufacturers, e.g. Siemens, Cutler-Hammer, General Electric offer their software packages with libraries including their equipment only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back