Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Favorite books

Status
Not open for further replies.

jons999

Automotive
Aug 16, 2002
US
Can anyone recommend any good auto engineering books that aren't too dry, but cover all the different systems and parts used today, how they work, how their engineered etc. The book i'm reading right now is Advanced Vehicle Technology by Heinz Heisler (sp?). Lots of good info, some of it is difficult to understand without reading 2 or 3 times.

-Jon

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Anything by Paul Van Valkenburg (Race Car Engineering) or Carroll Smith (Engineer to Win, Tune to Win, etc). These are mostly books on race car engineering / prep, but the info they cover also applies to road cars.

Anything by Carroll Smith. If I have nothing to read then I will pick up one of his books and be educated and amused at the same time.

John

"ADVANCED ENGINE TECHNOLOGY" from the same guy, Heinz Heisler is kinda descriptive; about ALL engine principles and applications. It includes practical and industrial design of different parts as well. It does not cover any tuning topic, though. A good and complete range of engine information is gathered there. Not very deep in electronics and electrical.

Cheers

If you share what you know, you'll never forget it.

Cheers
Zimbali

Try the Bosch Automotive Handbook, it covers a very wide spectrum about cars and their systems. A new version was released recently.

Good Luck!

Hey what about that new book SAE is offering about the Ferrari F-1 car from the 2000 season? Its $90, but looks like a pretty decent in depth look at the car that won it all, and the team behind it. Anyone heard anything about it?

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back