Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Fax Machine Certified for Aircrft use? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onwing

Electrical
Feb 8, 2009
CN
Is there any vendor can provide the Multi Function (copy, fax, print, scan) machine, that has already specifically certified for aircraft usage?

Hundreds of Multi-purpose machines are available for comercial use. But I can not find even one specifically certified for aircraft.

Do you ever install a Fax Machine to aircraft, does fax machine is already certified?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

why should it be "aircraft" certified ? ... it's "only" miscellaneous, non-essential, electrical equipment ... maybe you'd need to do EMI/EMC and an ELA, but those are routine with any install'n ...

I have not seen a certified fax machine.

We install COTS fax machines in an enclosed compartment under conditions established with our lcoal FAA ACO via an issue paper.

In addition to ELA and EMI considerations, there is the flammability issue to deal with.

As I mentioned in your other thread, we have installed numerous fax machines and always needed to do an EMI test at a minimum. What I failed to mention to you and I should have is that we were never able to locate a fax machine that was designed specifically for aircraft use, as rb1957 indicates. And as YoungTurk indicates, so we also used COTS fax machines.

I am not saying there is no such thing as a fax machine that is specifically designed for aircraft use, but what I am saying is we have never located (or needed) one.

In my company we have done many fax machine installations in FAR25 a/cs. These fax machines are the same that you will find in any ordinary office (BROTHER, HP, etc.), and I can only agree with rb1957´s comment. Usually it was not necessary to do an ELA.

Thanks for all of your comment.

The flammability and ELA is easy for my company. And aircraft level EMI/EMC test (STC Test Plan) is also within my company's capability.

As all your comment, the component level EMI/EMC test per DO-160E is also required. Here has some difficulties to do this test:

1. The Fax machine available in the market is updated frequently.
2. DO-160E is more stringent than other commercial standard. Some Fax model may need to be modified.
3. DO-160E EMI test is expensive than buying an already tested products.

We all agreed that there is no fax specifically for aircraft.

But is there any Brother Multi-Function Center, which has already passed DO-160E EMI/EMC test without modification? Or what Brother Fax Machine models you has adopted before?

And which company can supply such models with DO-160E EMI/EMC test report?

Thanks so much for you all again.

Onwing

I am not a certification-, or electrical engineer, for that matter (I work with structures). But I do know that we have installled BROTHER MFC-465CN on some european reg. A/Cs, without modifying the fax machine.

Thanks CoffinsCorner, MFC-465CN has very high performance. Do you remember which aircraft model has equipped with MFC-465CN? Is it a Boeing aircraft or an Airbus aircraft?

Most importantly, does your MFC-465CN ever sent to Lab for DO-160E EMI/EMC test?

For sure we have installed the MFC-465CN in AIRBUS, but most likely also in BOEING.
Recently I was working on a Boeing project, where we did some mech. provisioning for an MFC-9070 to be installed.
We install the fax machine as COTS which means that it has not been RTCA DO160 tested, as far as I know. But this is not my area, and I do not want to say something which is not true. I am sure that there are some Certification Engineers out there, who could be more helpful...

It may seem like stating the obvious, but the structural installation must be addressed, too. It must be secured against all manouvering, gust, and emergency landing loads. This is an "item of mass" in the cabin which "may harm the occupants in the event of a crash". Simply bolting it to a plate would not be sufficient, because copiers often have loose parts (lids, document feeders, trays) that should also be secure. Having a procedure to stow loose items has come up on survey equipment projects where the scientists have keyboards and laptops sitting around. Somebody mentioned an EMI enclosure, which could also serve to keep the little pieces from flying. Wires also shouldn't be loose.

Will someone be sitting close to the fax/copier? Within a certain radius, you must consider headstrikes against sharp edges. Especially if your EMI enclosure is a bent-up sheet metal box.

Think carefully about 25.853... it doesn't seem like you have, otherwise you wouldn't have brushed it off so casually. I won't elaborate yet, because if I explain myself, everyone is going to jump. There are means of mitigating each of the issues, but you should brace yourself for a very strict interpretation of the FAR's from the ACO.

Just because others have had an "easy go" doesn't mean that you will.

Good luck!

Steven Fahey, CET

Appreciate all of your reminder.

I am focus on the DO-160E EMI/EMC issue. As SparWeb indicate, there should have means of mitigating such issues.

As CoffinsCorner indicate, the Fax Machine is as COTS and not been DO-160 tested.

While, without DO-160 EMI/EMC test, what is the acceptable means of compliance of FAR 25.1353(a), FAR 25.1431(c), and AC 25-10 (dated 3/6/87) Para 5.f?

Thanks so much,
Onwing

I have certified the installation of many fax machines in Transport Aircraft 14CFR25.

We always do a EMI test, substantiation analysis for Loads and retention (items of mass).

If the machine is located in an enclosed space like a draw or cabinet, the enclosure must be lined with a non-flammable material and sometimes we have installed a squib type extinguisher (the same type we use in trash containers in the lavatories.

All the Fax machines have been COTS, listed on a COTS report and are not eligible for PMA

Hope this helps
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back