Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FDA approved adhesive for low energy plastic

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmoey212

Mechanical
Jul 12, 2012
US
Hello,

I have been searching for an adhesive for bonding a polyethylene film to a natural rubber (I know, it's almost impossible) and I was hoping for some guidance. Before you say to give up, I have had great success with common super glues and, while my application does not require a strong bond, the adhesive must be FDA approved and should be NSF 61 certified for use around potable water - so superglue is out of the question.

I have been in touch with Dow Corning regarding their 732 silicone sealant and 2520 hot melt. I was told the 732 sealant would only work with a corona or plasma treatment. Any suggestions?

I am beyond frustrated trying to find a solution to this issue and any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Joey

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You will need to plasma treat in order to get any real bond.
These systems are quick and not that expensive.
There is nothing else on the NSF list? It is a very long list.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

" so superglue is out of the question."

You do realize that "superglue" (cyanoacrylate) is used for things like eye surgery and simple wound closure? Hard to believe you can't get an FDA approval, though I do know that the NSF 61 is more stringent.

Silicones don't adhere very tightly to even themselves...but I've stuck stuff to EPDM rubber and foam with Dow 748 adhesive with good results.

Then again...a very brief (literally one click) found Loctite 480 that is NSF 61 approved. I googled "cyanoacrylate NSF"...

Thanks for the responses.

I tried Loctite 480 a few weeks ago but the water interacting with the adhesive will be approaching 100 degrees celsius and the glue didn't hold - it's only rated to 82 degrees celsius. I called Loctite several times and I was told none of their products would work with our application.

I also ordered the Dow 748 and I hope it will get better results than the 732. I have a feeling a hot melt or plasma treatment is the only option but it will complicate (only in the initial setup) our assembly process.

If you know of any other solutions, please help!

Call one of the plasma treat guys and rent a unit to try out. This will change performance greatly.
In water that hot a hot melt is really what you need.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back