Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

FE exam question? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmithsJohn2

Mechanical
Jun 22, 2005
US
I am going to take the FE exam this Oct. I already download the FE supplied reference handbook. However, it states in the PERFACE, "some of the basic theories, conversion, formulas and definitions that examinees are expected to know are not included." Does it mean some theories, conversion, formulas and definitions in the reference handbook will not be shown in the exam? Thanks for ideas.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

THE FE supplied reference handbook is the one downloaded in the NCEES web site. The offical reference handbook can be obtained in the exam.

If it isn't in that booklet-o-fun, you don't need it. However, it is a good idea to go through it and become familiar with particularly useful formula locations AND be able to rewrite/recognize them in all their forms.

The supplied reference material booklet for this exam is what it is - it contains supplied reference material so you do not have to memorize ALL engineering formulas, etc., for the FE exam. You are expected to have a good understanding of engineering principles and be able to recognize and apply the necessary formula’s in solving FE problems.

If what you are asking is does the entire supplied reference material formulas appear on the exam? The answer is No. You have two parts to the FE exam - the morning session, which covers basic engineering principles and the afternoon session which covers your major area of study or discipline you select in engineering. The supplied reference book was designed to provide resource material for the morning and afternoon sessions of the FE exam.

Hello everyone,

I have a quick question about choosing the module in FM exam. Is it necessary to choose beforehand? or choose it in the examination centre? Thanks for reply.

Yes, I believe that you must select the type of test module for the afternoon session at the time that you register to sit for the exam. Check with your local board just to be sure. The test question booklets are sorted and counted for both the AM and PM sessions based on x number of test takers.

I took the FE Exam last April - You do not have to declare which module you will do in the afternoon. You can actually start one and switch to the other if you so desire.

I went there with every intention of taking the general exam in the afternoon - but at the last minute I decided to go with the Civil exam.

I passed.

I just register but didn't find that I can choose which module. People always said that taking your own field can make you pass, compared with general exam.

Based on the marking system, AM exam, 120 questions, PM exam, 60 questions. It seems one question in PM is equal to two questions in A.M. Am I right?

I think that you'll find that the AM questions are single step , fairly straight forward questions. The afternoon questions are a bit more involved - requiring 2 or more steps (or equations).

I found the supplied reference to be really good. If it isn't in that book you really don't need it (at least for the exam anyway).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back