Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FE Exam Review books 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone who has any recommendations about which FE Exam Review books to use OR not to use, it would be most appreciated.
I already found out that the one by Barrons is not good.

Has anyone heard positives/negatives about this one,
Fundamentals of Engineering: FE Exam Preparation, 17th Ed.
publisher: Kaplan AEC Education

Thanks

I used this book (might have been an earlier edition, I took the FE ~2 yrs ago). The thing I found most helpful is to buy the equation booklet. Basically, you need to really familiarize yourself so you don't have to go searching during the test.

I highly reccomend:

FE Review Manual
Rapid Preperation for the General Fundamentals of Engineering Exam

Second Edition

By: Michael R. Lindeburg, PE

It is sold through PPI, and they offer a money back gaurantee if you do not pass the test.

I'm currently preparing for the Oct. date. From what I've seen so far, Dawn6's suggestion is the best one I've ever heard on any of these "PE study" questions. The single biggest boost to my performance during my studying has been when a co-worker gave me a copy of the reference book you're given for the FE exam.

Simply looking through and re-familiarizing myself with the equations that looked unfamiliar has been huge. Almost everything I've seen in the course of my studying has been explicitly in the book and presented in a direct manner.

Of course, take this with a grain of salt and ask my opinion again in six months, and I may have a different story.

Sorry to sidetrack the OP, but is the FE certificate really worth it for someone who has been out of school for a couple years. I have yet to see job postings with FE Certificate required.
I'm sure like any other accomplishment it grows your negotiating leverage, but then again is it a significant amount of leverage? Spending time on these forums I have come to the conclusion that experience accounts for much more than what was learned in the classroom.
What are your thoughts?

Failure is a prerequisite of successful design

Agreed on the FE, if that's the extent of certification that's obtained. Is passing the FE not a prerequisite to sitting for the PE? That, IMO, would be reason enough to take the FE exam.

Depends on the state, dgowans.

jistre--sounds like you know of states that don't require the FE exam before sitting for the PE exam. Which states don't have the FE exam requirement, care to say?

TomFin--I see "EIT or PE" requirements (interestingly, rarely do they say "FE" even though EIT is an outdated acronym) in job ads all the time. Perhaps I'll remember to give you a link when I see one next time.

As you probably expect, the utility of the EIT/FE/PE depends on the industry, or whether you want to work for yourself some day as an 'engineer.' Most states require you to have the PE to work for yourself, say as a consultant engineer. If you work for a manufacturer, I can't think of a state that requires a PE for you to do so legally as an engineer. If you work for a company that builds buildings, or puts stuff in buildings like HVAC, or works on bridges, highways, etc., you don't have to have a PE to work there, but it will help your career considerably to have a PE, since that means you can sign off on drawings, meaning you are taking responsibility for the design and the design had better be good! (see for example Hyatt Regency walkway collapse in the early 80s).

Curiously, when you work for an airplane manufacturer and screw up, and an airplane crashes, whether you have a PE or not, you as an engineer will not get sued or lose your license--the company itself indemnifies you and your work. Someone on one of these threads said you still could get sued, but I've never seen an example of such a case of a responsible person in aerospace being sued for a bad design that results in loss of life.

Louisiana doesn't require the FE as a prerequisite, just that you have the qualifications. I'm unsure EXACTLY what that means, but here's the rule as written...

A. The requirements for licensure as a professional
engineer under the two alternatives provided in the licensure
law are as follows:

1. the applicant for licensure as a professional
engineer shall be an engineer intern, or an individual who
meets the qualifications to be an engineer intern...

Thanks for all of your help with the FE Exam Review books.

jistre: Section 901 of 'rules.pdf' link defines "Engineer Intern" as graduate of accredited engineering curriculum and 'passed written examination in fundamentals of engineering.' sounds like you have to pass FE test to me.

Suerte41,

The FE Review Manual by Michael Lindburg is the best one out there in my opinion. I successfully passed this exam in 2003, having earned my Bachelor's degree 17 years prior. I went on to also pass the PE exam the following year. As I type this, I am looking at Linburg's Review Manual on my bookshelf. It not only serves as an excellent summary with lots of good advice about what to do weeks and days before the exam, but it also serves as a handy reference tool after you have taken the exam. It is worth the time and effort to go through each and every chapter. If you study properly from this book, you should be as well prepared as you can be to take the FE exam. Good luck to you.

Maui

Maui: I second that, appears we had similar circumstances (i.e. "old guy status"). I took mine in 1999, found the Lindburg book with solution manual invaluable to me for passing the PE in Missouri. I liken my review of mech. engineering concepts with Lindburg's help a matter of exercising my brain a bit before encountering the ordeal of the PE exam; much as you would never run a 5K race without training, why would you take a long exam without some preparation? Some people 'brag' that they didn't study-I would doubt that this is a successful strategy for most of us!

I know what an intern is. However, that definition is neither here nor there. If you read what I originally posted, the rules clearly say you either have to be an intern or have the qualifications of one. If there is an option other than "intern", then it stands to reason that the other option is in the category of "not an intern", regardless of what the definition of "intern" is.

However, I'm still unsure of exactly what that other option entails. It may all be semantics and a way to allow people from other states who aren't licensed as interns in Louisiana to sit for the exam. Perhaps it may be worded that way to allow people to take the exams concurrently for those who haven't passed the FE yet, but have the degree and experience. I just don't know.

I agree with Sbozy25, Maui, and prost. The review manual by Lindeburg is the best out there. I bought the book for the FE 2 years ago and while I didn't even open the book, I did hear very good things about it from my peers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back