Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FE Exam

Status
Not open for further replies.

root9

Mechanical
Aug 7, 2015
US
Hey guys, I'm getting ready to take the FE exam. Has anyone here taken the new computer based test? If so, what (if any) prep books did you use? Based on customer reviews I'm reading for various books on amazon and whatnot, the "old" prep books don't go into enough detail because the new test is much more specific to your field of study.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I haven't taken the computer based exam, but I can say that the Lindeburg books are highly regarded, especially for the PE. It's not what you asked for exactly, but you might put those in your search.

I have the "Mechanical Engineering Reference Manual for the PE Exam" 12th edition on my desk right now coincidentally. I actually use it quite often, and in lieu of many college texts.

Good luck on the exam.

Root9,

I took the new computer based FE mechanical exam about a month ago and found the actual reference book (on screen) provided by NCEES very useful. For most of the problems, all the variables were given and all I had to do is plug in the values in the formula(ideal gas equation, reynold's number formula, etc) to find the answer. Just make sure you know where all the formulas are in that reference book provided on the screen. Also, you can use control F to find the specific formula. Try to take the practice exam provided by NCEES, which contain fifty problems. Goodluck!

I took the computer-based test. Very simple engineering problems, and you can even search for the exact formulas you need in the computer. You shouldn't have any trouble if you have a degree. I bought the Lindeburg book and did all of the problems and it was more than enough preparation, the only thing I needed review on was non-mechanical problems, i.e. electricity.

I took the computer-based test a year before graduating, and found that familiarizing yourself with the reference book before the exam is definitely key to success or good knowledge of what formulas and such to use too answer the questions. Also, most of the questions can be narrowed down to two possible answers with just a basic understanding of what the question is asking. I passed the first time without using the help of practice problems or practice test, I maybe reviewed the night before over a few things for about 4 hours...So pretty much if your knowledge of basic engineering and math are good, you shouldn't have a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back