Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FE Help... please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EITwannabee

Mechanical
Feb 21, 2008
US
I am trying to pass the EIT this coming April. Let me start by telling you that I have been out of college for 19 years. I have been reviewing for over 4 months on my own and now am only half way through the mounds and mounds of material (PPI Review books). I was hoping I would get through a lot more of it by now.

So it's really crunch time - less than 9 weeks left!

There is a review course given by Testmasters in Charlotte and Richmond that are possibilities that cram in material over 10 sessions close to test time. Has anyone here done that before? Does anyone have any advise on how to pass for an old EIT wannabee? I'm scared!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My advice

- If you don't immediately see the correct path to take to get the answer to problem, skip it. Most of the problems are very simple and the answer isn't hard if you see it. So don't spend too much time on one problem. Go back at the end. Everyone I knew who failed it when I took it didnt make it to the end of the test because they spent too much time trying to figure out ONE problem out of 120.

- Become very familiar with the formula book you will be using. Get a good grasp of what is available to you. I found that even a few of the problems (maybe 5%) required you only to look in the corresponding section of formula to find the answer. I specifically remember getting some chemical engineering problems correct by simply reading the answer in formula book. They were a few more as well.

Right now I am trying to prepare for my FE exam, and am just quizzing myself. I need to get a hold of the exact material they give but other than that most has been of the top of my head without anything more than a calculator and am doing at least a 60% so I could use some help myself.

i passed it this October ( 1st time), grad last December. I used the Lindberg manual to review ( big phone book one) and also bought the 999 non quantitative book from PPI. I'd also recommend skipping problems you don't know off hand and coming back to them later.

Make three passes through the exam. First pass is to determine whether the question can be answered as fast as it is read (if so, mark the answer and move on), if you know how to easily find the answer, or if you are going to struggle with the question. Second pass is those that you identified as easily solvable, and third pass is every thing else. Use that to take you to the last 5-10 minutes and then fill in any unanswered questions.

When I took the EIT (over 20 years ago), the personal information on the cover sheet had a spot to indicate what attempt number this would be for you. I happened to notice that the gal sitting to my right filled in the bubble for 3 or more times. About 20 minutes to 12 I happened to look over at her answer sheet and noticed that she had answered the first 20% or so of the questions and none of the rest. My guess was that this wasn't going to be the time she passed either.

Take the refresher course by all means. You won't regret it. It will be a life changing experience. My refresher included a number of engineers from various specialties, who gave valuable tips and shortcuts. It's a team effort and well worth the expense and effort.

Pick and choose what to study. It is better to understand 3 subjects very well than to partially understand 4 or 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back