Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FE model check

Status
Not open for further replies.

christophersrikanth

Structural
Apr 1, 2013
GB
Hi All,

I shall be grateful if you can point me in write direction.

I have some experience in writing FE codes for 1D elements (inclusing non linear) and have recently started using NX as a user in my workplace.

In NX (and I guess in all other FE softwares) we have FE model check based on the eblow criteria:

1)Aspect ratio
2)Warp
3)Skew
4)Taper
5)Jacobian ratio
6)Jacobian zero
7)Minimum angle
8)Maximum angle

A) I undestand aspect ratio might be ratio between shortesr and larges element sides. Am I right? How much that should be and what is the underlying physics here?
B) I'm not sure what the terminologies warp and skew mean here in connection with FE model checks. Can anyone help? As I would like to correct these entities based on my failed eleemnts (which are displayed following a check)
C) Now, JAcobian expresses the transformation bbetween mapped and real / geometric corrdinates. I'd heard of Jacobian determiannt but not clear of Jacobian ratio/Jacobian zero.Are warp, skew and JAcobian related?

Can anyone throw some light or perhaps a FE text that discusses these clearly

Chris

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

the ideal quad is a square, aspect ratio 1 ... as you get away from that the results get unreliable.

skew is how much like a rhombus it is, skew zero is ideal.

warp is how much out of plane it is (3 points define a plane, if the 4th corner is on the same plane then warp = 0).

there's lots out there about sensivity of elements (user manuals, advanced manuals) check the autoexec to see the pre-set limits. the grand-daddy of most quad elements toay is the NASTRAN CQUAD4.

investigate it yourself with simple single element tests ... test aspect ratio 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, ... for a single element in tension

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back