Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fe Ni 48 (supra - 50): magnetic annealing

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidmoul

Materials
Jun 20, 2008
FR
Hi guys,

just a simple question: during the magnetic annealing of Fe-Ni 48, Do I have to expect some dimensionnal variation on thin laminations (heat treatment at 1100°C under controlled atmosphere).

I'd like to know if I need to adapted the tooling to prevent a deformation of the lamination (I need extreme precision). Is the secondary cristallisation of such alloy a problem from a dimensionnal point of view? I don't find any clues on this point...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I assume that these are laminations that are 4 or 6 mils thick. Given the standard thickness tolerance and stack up variations you will be fine. If you are using a stack of these you will have stack-up tolerance to deal with related to flatness and burr. The dimensions will not be exact.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

Many thanks for your help,

In fact, we use these laminations in stack, and we have a very tight tolerances on the inner diameter (35 mm diameter). What kind of dimensionnal variation should I expect on such diameter, for a Magnetic annealing (1100°C) and oxydation.

I will check the tolerances with our mechanical design, but to validate the treatment, I'd like to know what range of dimensionnal change I should expect.

Many thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back