Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

FE/PE Exam Advice 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

waskillywabbit

Mechanical
Feb 26, 2004
US
I've read numerous threads/posts on the subject and perhaps even started a similar one before...but I was wondering just how hard it would be for me to obtain my PE.

I am soon to be 37 years old, wife, two pre-school boys and generally work a 50 hour work week, sometimes more, sometimes less. I like my life, but I'd like more for my career and just to better myself. I only have 3 years experience working at the company below and we have a PE who could supervise my work. Do they have to be in the same discipline? I'd like to do this myself and pay for it myself, just for self motivation I guess.

Problem is, like an idiot I never took the FE exam out of college when it was encouraged but not required, went to another vocation so I didnt' think I needed it, anyway, now I am considering going this route. I've looked at an FE review manual that I have and there is a lot of information in there to relearn for a not-so-young brain. 10 year ago, no problem, I woulda jumped on it...but now I have my reservations and applaud anyone over 30 who has accomplished it...

I guess for me personally it all just boils down to personal motivation to pass the tests, but my brain doesn't just rattle off information like it did 15 years ago when I was in college, so in all honesty I'm a bit frightened that such an undertaking would just become overwhelming and discouraging in the end.

Anyone care to share their experience and advice?

Thanks.

Brian
Pressure Vessels and Autoclave Systems

The above comments/opinions are solely my own and not those of McAbee Construction.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think DaveVikingPE's story cointains an important lesson: Get you familys acceptance BEFORE starting. They must accept that you will be commited and giv you the time and "space" required. Not only to work and study - but also to have whatevery time you require not to become overstreesed!

Best regards

Morten

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back