Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FE software, can it be that cheap...??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You cannot get updates or technical support from soft manufactorer
A) You are required to own an original copy of the title you intend to backup, if you sell or give away the original copy, you will either, (A) Destroy that backup or (B) Give the backup to the pers on receiving the original. This law extends to PC and basically anything that consists of copyable data for backup purposes.
I'm guessing that when your copy doesn't work, they will refer you to the terms and conditions and keep your $45...but that's just a guess...

The link above is blocked by my IT department as "Illegal or Questionable". That should give you some indication as to the site's reputation.

Hi,
Confirmed, it's a site which sells illegal cracked copies.

Sites like that exist in billions, provided that you have a password to enter them... (How did you manage to have this?... ;-) )

Greg, I got 300-node version from NeiNastran and from UGS (Femap). At least the current 9.3x version gives installation options "stand alone" or "300-nodes demo".

Greg, I have a "full" Femap version that can also be run in demo-mode. That means a 300 node limit. I have actually never heard of a 200 node limit for Femap.

Regards

Thomas

Just to be clear.

When I said Femap I meant Femap only. There is no solver included. There might be an NX Nastran demo on the disc but since I use NEiNastran I have not installed it. I think the node limit for demo in NEiNastran is 300 but I'm not sure.

Regards

Thomas

To quote from the site:

"Our company purchases software from various venues. Such places include: overstock, auctions, closeouts, companies going out of business. We provide great prices because we purchase them low prices! Also we provide downloadable software, so we do not spend money for shipping and our products become even cheaper."

I've bought software before too that was extremely cheap because the software prodcuers were trying to get rid of older versions that had been superceded. This might be the case here too.

corus

corus:

I say Femap v9.3 64 bit at $45 (and that is the current version). Patran 2007 at $50 and MSC.Nastran 2007 at $50.
Autocad 2008 at $60.

I can't be absolutly sure but would be very surprised if they were authorized resellers from UGS, MSC, Autodesk or anybody else.

Regards

Thomas

This is a pirate site. Do you really think software vendors want to sell old versions at greatly reduced prices? It's not like last year's cars sitting on a dealer's lot.

Hi,
corus, sorry, this can not be the case. At least, not for anything related to Ansys. This is not a shareware software, when a company owing a license goes out of business, the license is returned to Ansys Inc. and definitively cleared out from the universe!!! A license of such softwares is NOT portable from one site to another, or even from one computer to another (if not by borrowing the license for a limited time period).
The mentioned site is definitively a "pirate" site. At least, it has to be considered so in all countries subjected to copyright laws. For example, in today's China such laws simply don't exist, so a site like that is perfectly legal, what it does is legal and the copies you get are legal... in China only and only from Chinese Gov's point of view, of course!!!!!

Well, I've known ANSYS sell off old versions before with the proviso that there was no technical support for the product. I also was given the ANSYS-ed version free by ANSYS for attending one of their training courses, many moons ago. I think Nastran have sold off some of their older versions too in the past, and I also have a free copy of Nastran (limited to a few hundred nodes). Basically they had these older versions and wanted to get rid of them so selling them off cheap with no support was one way of making a little extra money. Why you don't see that so often these days I have no idea. Maybe it's because they make more on the annual licence/maintenance fee than on the product? Who knows. Saying that the copies do seem to be recent, which makes you think...

corus

Refer to the "terms and conditions". Besides the fact that there are several mis-spelled words, you could drive a truck through all the caveats that they put in them. You have to own the license, apparently with a current maintenance contract. This tells me that you have to have all the proper access codes and this is an upgrade to which you probably already have the rights. The only reasons allowed for returning the software is that the software itself is physically damaged OR that the company from which you are purchasing this software agrees to accept the return. It sounds to me like you pay $45 and get nothing...

Guys,

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.
And corus, thanks also for being honest...
But, where did you buy your software?
From a similar site?

I have checked the site with McAfee Site Advisor and it said: "Feedback from credible users indicates an overall concern with shopping at this site."

I wonder who would the "credible source" be ?

Too good to be true, but still tempting as usual...
Has anybody tried?

The old versions of software that were being sold (I didn't buy it at that time) was sold by ANSYS and by Nastran at that time, but it was a limited time period offer.
Why the software people don't sell off older versions at dirt cheap prices I don't know, as they must have recouped all of their design costs over the years, and it would encourage people to buy the software and perhaps upgrade to later, more expensive products for which they could again make loads of money from the product/support, and from training etc.

corus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back