Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FEA in Geotechnical Engineering

Status
Not open for further replies.

lovethecold

Civil/Environmental
Sep 15, 2003
US
How widespread is Finite Element Analysis in geotechnical engineering. I have thought of taking a class on this subject, but don't know how useful it would actually be. How much information from the field and lab would be required to be able to do FEA, etc. What sort of computer programs are available for such, assuming my company would spend the money on such if I learned the subject.

- EIT Geotechnical Engineer. I am here hoping to help, and learn a little along the way.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi

We use FEA quite a lot for various jobs, from large highways embankments to small footings and retaining walls. It's a useful tool but like most things it depends on the quality of data you put in and the knowledge of the operator.
Most of our staff have had training but only one of us uses the software so the rest of us have pretty much forgotten how it works!! (He's pretty sick of being THE Plaxis guy now!)
I suppose it depends on the type of work you do as to whether it's worthwhile your company paying for the software and the training.

Cheers

You really need to understand FEM, whether you use it routinely in practice or not. It's very important.

f-d

¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

dear lovethecold,

i have done my masters thesis using FEA...
you will first need to understand that FEA itself is not generally the project/research, etc,... it is a very good and useful tool for whatever your trying to study...

research in advancing the FEA method would mean it would mostly be a mathematical study, precisely better method to solve partial diffrential equations..

mostly you can treat FEA analysis for ur study as a very good alternative to physical testing.. in that case, please concentrate more on the core problem itself rather than deciding to use FEA or experiment, etc

regards
rahul

In general, FEA is used for more critical, relatively high budget projects. You really do need a good understanding of the method and experience to know what parameters to use and whether the results are reasonable. You will require a lot of training and the software is expensive. But if you have the types of projects where it would be required, it may be useful.

Thanks for the replies. The real crux of the problem would be having someone with the experience to teach me (outside of a course at the university). The availability of projects that could make use of FEA do exist in this country, but only rarely and not enough to warrant the expense.

I think that learning FEA would be interesting and challenging, as applied to geotechnical engineering.

We have started using nonlin FEM for dynamic deformation analysis of embankment dams quite a bit. It's got potential in a lot of other areas as well. Excavations in weak materials or strain-softening materials would be one, settlements in nonuniform strata, etc. Like the others said, even using the results requires some understanding of the process and the math.

I took a class on it in 1981, which was heavy on the matrix algebra and light on the application. I found it rather dull, and with it being right after lunch, I had a hard time staying awake. However, I would expect most classes these days are more heavily weighted toward hands-on application. If nothing else, it will look good on your resume to be able to show knowledge of FEM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back