Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

FEA models in Algor or Inventor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomtation

Mechanical
Sep 15, 2007
CA
I occasionally need to perform FEA for pressure vessel design and have access to Algor MES 2011 and Inventor Routed Systems 2011. I want to know if it would be easier, that is less time to learn and use, Algor to create the models and then run the FEA or create the models in Inventor and then import them into Algor.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Agree with Eng Addict, if you need detailed stress numbers for PV design to code requirements, then you need a more fully featured FEA package like Algor. The embedded FEA within Adesk Inventor gives very limited output, mostly just pretty pictures...useful as a first cut for design, but not for a full stress report for verification to design codes.

Yes, way too cumbersome, particularly for the type of geometry you would use in PV design, like nozzles, flanges, etc. You can keep a live link between the parametric Inventor model and the Algor geometry as well (not the best but it works). The stress linearisation tool still needs big improvements for use with stress classification in the PV codes. Something like in Ansys would be good but I don't think it is a high priority for the developers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back