Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FEA software for Flange analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

aribells

Petroleum
Oct 10, 2006
US
Hello Everyone,

Please i have been given a task of analyzing some flanges after holes have been drilled into them.
The client needs evidence that the flanges will be ok after the drilling of the new holes into the the flanges
Please what software can i use to do this.

I will appreciate any information on this.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You need to find an expert in that subject matter and hire them to do the work for you. There is no simple software that will answer that question.

I agree, the software is only a tool. If you do not know how to use it, then it is worse than nothing since it can easily be misleading. You need to identify what the failure modes are. Is the part static or fatigue critical? These are the types of questions that should be asked before software is considered. If you ask a question about software before understanding that, it suggests that you are not ready to consider software as a solution.

Brian

It depends on what you're looking for. Is it simply a case of the flange bending during the drilling process or is it looking for the release of residual stresses produced in forming the section. If it's the latter then you have no chance unless you model the process of manufacture. If it's the former then if you know the force applied then any package can calculate the bending in the flange given a point load.

Why do you need FEA for what sounds to be a case of a few simple holes in a beam flange? Hand calcs should be fine to prove this unless the client has deemed something beyond this. If you absolutely need FEA it will likely be more cost effective to hire someone that owns the software. Most FEA analysis packages start in the $7k range and go up from there depending on the detail and material types you need to consider.

It seems you're looking for a "black box" solution to your problem, which suggests you really don't know what you're doing. As Brad805 pointed out, depending upon what question you're trying to answer, hand calcs should suffice. If you don't understand the physics of your problem, trying to use FEA to solve it is worse than useless. You need a mentor.

"On the human scale, the laws of Newtonian Physics are non-negotiable"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back