Feasibility of GRP lining to be applied on steel ducting

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjsamman

Mechanical
Nov 22, 2008
SA
Dear All,

We have steel ducting system coated internally with core-flake material and lined with modified PTFE. Due to some budgetary and time concern, we want to apply GRP lining internally to some portion of the duct.

My question is:

- The feasibility of GRP to be applied on the duct
- The temperature resistance (as I know the GRP max temp. is 100 deg. Celsius and our gas temp about 80 100 deg. Celsius) which means the margin is close.
- Mechanical rigidity of GRP
- Life span of GRP since it will be exposed to gases of [highlight #8AE234]SOx and Nox[/highlight]
- Do we have to coat the steel duct portion with same old coating (i.e Core-flake) before applying the GRP OR we can directly apply the GRP on steel duct.
- The adhesion of GRP onto the steel duct.
- How to seal the overlap between the the PTFE and GRP

Specification:
- total thickness to be applied 5 mm
- tensile elongation of the laminate 4.9% and tensile strength 12500 psi
- GRP lamination will be as per BS 4994

Regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your question is unanswered because it is difficult to answer with any certainity. Too many uncertain factors. Try in praxis if you can do this (smallscale?) as a test without any risk of loss of health and property.

Why post it in the pump engineering forum?

It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. (Sherlock Holmes - A Scandal in Bohemia.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back