Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Feature called out at 45 deg from clocking datum

Status
Not open for further replies.

sendithard

Industrial
Aug 26, 2021
US
We have this part that has a feature called out 45 deg from a clocking datum midplane. The thing is it could be 45 deg to the left or 45 deg to the right.

All the views on the print have it to the left, and that is how it must function, but I could entertain the argument the parts made opposite are good.

If a feature is shown clearly on many views on the print to be on the left, but nothing other than the 'visual' views would indicated it must be on the left, what would you all think? Maybe later I could throw together a rough example....hope you all are well!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What a novel argument to make - that handedness is arbitrary. Does this observation apply to the entire part or can individual features have their own selections for handedness independently?

Are there any other distinguishing features on the part that would indicate which side is up/down, left/right, clocking, etc.?
Sometimes even non-functional features are designed in for error-proofing reasons (or even an ink stamp or other mark). Then you'd have a more solid footing for what you want.
Yes, a sketch or example might be helpful!

Where you consider that the feature is made 45° "to the right", can you rotate the part 90° about the axis so that the part appears from all perspectives identical to a part where you consider it to be "on the left"? Only in that case, it doesn't matter. If it's otherwise, you have defective parts if the feature is on the wrong side.

What if you make a feature on the part that distinguishes the right/wrong orientaion?
Or make a feature so that assembling it is unambiguous.

I am having hard time understanding what the problem is.

Say, you created a fixture to check the part. Part is machined both left-handed and right-handed, but as long as it fits over the fixture it is good.

So, is it really bad and why? It is pretty realistic situation for simple parts like shims and gaskets. And you may combine left and right on your blanc to save material. Also realistic situation.

So, how part really looks like and what so bad about it?

"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert"
Arthur C. Clarke Profiles of the future

"All the views on the print have it to the left, and that is how it must function"

"I could entertain the argument the parts made opposite are good."

In terms of drawings, "good" means it meets the requirements, not that it will function.

Academically, as almost always such questions are, it may be a question of whether the feature is over constrained and you are looking for a way to express that there are multiple allowable variations without simply making that plain.

Realistically, there is no advantage to such a large variation in any modern manufacturing facility as it increases handling costs more than potential savings to validate such large variations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back