Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Feature Control Frame composite vs multiple single segments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vindicit

Mechanical
May 24, 2016
US
Whats the difference in the feature control frame of a composite tolerance vs multiple single segment tolerances? I got this on a drawing and these 2 flatness tolerances are considered Datum A. To me the bottom example feels like it was a mistake by the drafter as most of the drawings that came in at the same time by the same people looked like the above example.
pic4_zqn8dc.gif

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There's no definition for interpreting composite flatness tolerances under Y14.5. The lower version, with separate single callouts looks correct, but there should be a note indicating the flatness requires part restraint. There is no way to generally refine a flatness tolerance.

Agree with Dave, except to say that there is a way to "refine" a flatness tolerance with what they call a unit-basis control (a smaller flatness tolerance for every random section of 10x10, for instance).

Your question is valid, but it's just that the term composite is more for position and profile controls.

Y14.5-2009 said:
1.4(m) Unless otherwise specified, all dimensions and
tolerances apply in a free-state condition. For exceptions
to this rule see paras. 4.20 and 5.5.

Given Fundemental Rule 1.4 (m): I thinking the upper frame is the max "free state" flatness effor based on (F) symbol from paragraph 3.3.20 and the lower frame is the max flatness error in a restrained condion that is not defined - at least from the info given. Maybe??

Certified Sr. GD&T Professional

Vindicit,

The single flatness window symbol could mean something. This can be significant when you specify positional tolerances. I would guess that in this application, both are valid and that both mean the same thing.

There should be a note explaining how your datum face is being clamped. Otherwise, your .005 has no meaning.

--
JHG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back